LP 50 - help please.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Ariani

LP 50 - help please.

Post by John Ariani »

I’ve a problem with setting the trigger weight on my LP 50. It was fine until I decided to alter the height of the trigger blade. And there’s a trap one can fall into. I didn’t realize that when dropping the trigger blade down, this reduces the trigger weight.
Not being really a tech person, I always thought the trigger weight screw was the only way the trigger weight could alter. Dropping down the trigger blade (or raising it) must alter the ‘leverage’ (where the trigger weight hangs for checking) and thereby the trigger weight.
Back to my problem. I’ve run out of screw adjustment. Called the trigger ‘pull force’ in the manual, I’ve turned this clockwise until it ‘clicks’ on each rotation – a bit like a screw that’s ‘stripped’ (please don’t tell me that I can strip this screw!!)
I’ve also read the manual and have made sure that the first stage travel
and trigger stop have some ‘play’ as the manual notes that a too fine adjustment can cause inconsistent trigger weight readings. My trigger is the ‘light’ version (can adjust out to 600gms I believe)
This lack of adjustment isn’t just because I’ve dropped down the trigger shoe.
Moving it up, helps a little with the trigger weight being increased but not
to 500gms. That’s the confusing part. Prior to wanting to drop the shoe down I’m sure my trigger was set a 540gms – but now I can’t get it to read anything like that, even putting the trigger shoe back to it’s original place.
I must be doing something wrong – so any ideas – or anyone had the same experience.
Thank you.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

If I remember rightly the total trigger weight is a combination of the first and 2nd stage settings. So it could therefore be that you need to increase the first stage weight to get the overall weight acceptable. I would however be inclined to speak to a man who knows if I were you, like phone your Steyr main dealer.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Rob - the LP50 has a single stage trigger.

John - If you like to DIY, then remove the trigger assembly (p36 of your manual), then examine the weight adjustment parts - screw 37 and spring 39. See the pull out exploded drawing. The spring may be riding up over the threads of the screw so you get insufficient spring compression, which controls the trigger weight. Or, if not so inclined, call Pilkington and speak to their gunsmith. You may have to send back only the trigger assembly and not the whole gun.

Fred
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Thank you Rob and Fred. I'll go with the DIY idea. We don't have a Steyr dealer in our country so I'll proceed with care!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

John Ariani wrote:Thank you Rob and Fred. I'll go with the DIY idea. We don't have a Steyr dealer in our country so I'll proceed with care!
Then phone one in a country that does have one, I'm sure the guys at Pilkington would give you some advice, for example.

Rob.