ai rifle aiming and pull trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Favelinni

ai rifle aiming and pull trigger

Post by Favelinni »

Hi:

I'm new in air rifle shooting and one of my biggest problems is to coincide the perfect aiming and pull trigger. Even my wobbling area is small, most of the time it seems i pull trigger late, when the perfect sight picture is past time.

Any suggestion to solve my problem?
xcrunner8k

Post by xcrunner8k »

hey bud...
you are far from alone. this is a big problem for a lot of people. i'm going to warn you that i get very involved in describing things so you're partially in luck.

i have to say the best remedy is to just get in position with the rifle and dry-fire for a few targets; some air rifles don't allow for dry-firing unless the cylinder is disconnected, so you can either do so or just cock and pull the trigger and work from there. the biggest thing that's helped me is visualizing what's going on inside me... what the muscles are doing, how the bones are connected, etc. it's like you are looking through the eyes of the person behind you watching. now for the dry-firing... get in position with everything except the jacket and rifle... put the trousers and boots on if you've got them, keep the jacket and rifle in reach, and figure out your natural point of aim. get your body perfectly aligned to the target. sorry if this is review to you, but i'm going to tell you anyway. now you're perfectly aligned; pick up the rifle and get everything in place, then look through the sight. if you're perfectly aligned, you can hold on the target with no muscular effort. don't fire the gun yet; just hold for 5-7 aiming sequences. now put it down and put the jacket on. do the same thing with the jacket. 5-7 sequences, put it down, then do 5-7 more sequences with a dry-fire; now what you're looking for is for the sight to not deviate at all from the target... fire it as if you wanted to shoot a perfect 10. now do about 3-5 more sequences except instead of dry-firing the mechanism, allow the air to come out but still do not load the gun. you're getting the noise and (minimal) recoil of a real shot, but you're not firing a real shot. now we've done around 20 dry-fires, each one with painstaking precision. now load only if you are confident that you are aligned to the target and have completed most or all of the dry-fires without deviating from the target. start with the sighting bulls, fire at least five between the two of them... this is to not only sight the gun, but to test the position... if you're not aligned, you'll be able to tell because a few of the shots flew of to one side. now i'd suggest going to the top or bottom middle record bull first because you won't have to rotate the position to get to it. do a dry-fire at it as if you were taking a shot at it. now do a live fire the same way. next target: dry-fire, then live fire. go around the target until complete.

the good thing about dry-firing is you won't get that evil trigger pull that flings the rifle off the target. all you have to do is learn to live-fire with the same technique as your dry-fire. easy right? it took me about two weeks to figure it out several years ago, but i was self-taught; a lot of the juniors have it down in about two sessions.

now i have to ask... are you shooting sporter or precision? the technique applies for both, i'm just curious.

good luck bud
Dan M.
Attachments
30.JPG
favelinni

thanks

Post by favelinni »

dan:

thank you very much foy your advise. i'm shooting presicion since last year.

daniel