shoot with closed eyes

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dgold

shoot with closed eyes

Post by dgold »

What is your opinion to shoot with closed eyes?
I made some experience with AR, and also with prone (I think that standing with small bore it’s some dangerous, kneeling must be very interesting, but I’m not try yet).
It helped to find my position, but I don't know if my method is correct.
I shoot about ten dry fire, then another ten with the open eyes, and after that I begin. I align, I close the eyes, I wait for three seconds, I release the shoot and I open the eyes to see if the sights rest aligned . I verify after the result.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Sounds like a method to help develop the "inner position", but you are working on more than one thing ata time.

What are your thoughts during the hold and release of the shot?

If you are trying to stabilize the hold and get the "feeling" you need to focus on that, then open your eyes to confirm you are still n target.

Adding the release gives you a second thing to think about during you practice. This may cause problems with triggger control if you are now thinking about activating the trigger, but normally use a "subconscious" trigger release.

If your normal trigger release depends on the subconscious matching what your eyes see to activate the trigger, you are actually deprogramming that portion of your shot proccess.

I believe you can accomplish what you are trying for bydry holding without trigger release, and then opening your eyes to see if you are still on taget.