After shooting big bore revolvers, my AP score went up!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
TargetTerror

After shooting big bore revolvers, my AP score went up!

Post by TargetTerror »

I recently got my handgun license, so i've been using the Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum I purchased quite a bit. Needless to say, its an entirely different beast from my air pistol.

I took my air pistol out today, and thought I would do poorly as I haven't shot it in a long time. Much to my surprise, I shot my best score yet! 169/200, up from my previous high of 161. (and that was with a guy firing off an AK-47 2 stalls down from me - the juniors were using the gallery range). I found it MUCH easier to keep my sights aligned than I ever have before, and everything else just fell into place.

I guess the weight of the revolver must have conditioned me more than i thought it would.
Lee Sellers

Post by Lee Sellers »

... and the recoil, and the muzzle blast, and the ... <grin>

There are reasons you are more settled with the milder gun. Cross training can be beneficial, just don't develop bad habits such as flinching and poor trigger manipulation!
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

I think my precision shooting has actually helped me quite a bit with larger guns, as I am more concious of flinches and do everything i can to avoid them.

That said, I don't really see it as "cross training." Each serves an entirely different purpose. I was just amazed that my scores went up as dramatically as they did, and the revolver was the only difference I could think of...
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

I shoot multiple calibers, and i dont know what you AP is but for my$0.02 3 thing happened

1) getting use to the heavier trigger help on you 500g AP
2) recoil punishes angular errors - you learned to control these better
3) guessing hear that you have one you, you learned the benefit of and anatomical grip

just my $0.02

JY