AP RF hold versus slow-fire hold

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tom Amlie

AP RF hold versus slow-fire hold

Post by Tom Amlie »

After ready the recent thread on AP standard and/or RF shooting, I thought I'd see how the shot process went off. I don't have (yet) a multi-shot AP, so this was strictly a first-shot trial.

When I raised my AP from the ready position, the muscles in my chest, shoulders, back, and arm were all very tensed tring to bring the pistol to bear as quickly as possible, and I found myself "leaning into" the shot. I didn't try to settle into my "normal" AP hold, as I thought this would take too long.
In "slow fire" AP my chest, back, and upper arm are relatively relaxed: it's more as if my arm is sort of hanging out in front of me.

Do most people in a timed AP event keep the forced/tensed stance throughout the string, or do you try to settle into a more "normal" stance/feel as soon as the pistol is raised?

Thanks!
Tom
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Difficult to say really but you shouldn't be any more tense in rapid than precision. I don't notice any difference myself but then maybe an observer / coach could spot what I can't feel.

I would suspect a lot of it is down to practice. You need to start at the slower strings and gradually speed up so you can do the quicker strings once you've mastered the slower ones. In standard you have 10 sec for 5 shots and about 4 secs is fine for the first shot and leaves you plenty of time still.

Rob.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Tom

10 seconds with an AP is an eternity even when starting from the international ready position. Relax, and just bring the gun up naturally and as Rob reccomends, with the same feel as you would in precision.

Practicing getting that first shot off even with a single shot pistol is worthwhile. However, you dont want to train too long doing something which is inconsistent with what your trying to accomplish.

I'm not sure what is available out there in terms of a 5 shot AP - I have had an LP50 for three years now and dont regret the purchase. The trigger is not nearly as good as the LP1/2/10 series or the Morini but it's a great shooter for the AP events.

F. Paul in Denver