moving the forefinger

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

moving the forefinger

Post by Nano »

To the forum:

Reviewing the videos of the ISSF world championships, I see that many of the shooters, move the forefinger during the aim process, during the last seconds before the firing. I have reading exists that technique in free pistol specially, to avoid the freezing of the finger, somebody uses this technique? maybe somebody can explain the benefits.

Thank You,

Nano
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

From time to time, even with the Free Pistol (after I'm really comfortable with its trigger), I will "pump" the trigger and observe what it does to the sights. I promote this for dry fire trigger study, but it is often difficult for shooters (especially newer ones) to bring themselves to perform this during live fire.

My purpose is to make any final adjustments desired to perfect my trigger operation prior to shot release. For awhile with my Free Pistol I would pump the trigger continuously until the sights seemed to show steady perfection throughout and then just add a little extra to one of the pumps. The pumps with the FP were probably barely perceptable to an outsider, but they were quite noticeable to myself. I often suggest using the sighting system as a trigger purity indicator. In this case, while live firing, when I notice the action becoming pure enough for my liking, I add the little extra. If it doesn't become acceptable, I stop and start over.

In my case it isn't to keep from freezing the finger, but I'm sure it helps in that respect, too.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

You know Ed, every once in a while I hear old things that become a ------h-m-m-m-m I used to do that and why did I ever stop doing it??-----mebbe that might help me find some sanity in the middle of my"current ( consistent) doldrums." I will never put the fear into anyone in FP competition, but I went from TOZ to Hammerli, back to TOZ----and this last switch plus a six months layoff has left me more frustrated than ever. I noticed several discussions re: "U" sights having a renaissance----the first time I used them was on my old TOZ----and now I have returned to use one on my new TOZ. Just a constant search isn't it---still haven't found the fountain of youth either.
eskinner

Post by eskinner »

Standing nearby, I observed that Steve Reiter seems to be doing something like this. I noticed that, when preparing to shoot, he will gently press and release the trigger several times before committing to releasing the shot. My first thought was that he's feeling for that right spot on his finger but maybe he's *watching* for the right spot on his finger.
Hmmm...
atomicbrh

Post by atomicbrh »

I shoot another discipline far removed from the targettalk forums but I cruise this site daily because all of the techniques of correctly breaking the shot apply to my sport also. These are my thoughts on trigger finger movement previous to actually making the shot. The Olympic Sprinter is the best example I have ever heard applied to preliminary trigger finger movement or "trigger pumping" as Ed Hall correctly calls it. The trigger finger of the Match shooter is like the legs of the 100 meter Olympic sprinter. The Olympic Sprinter must have perfect reaction time out of the starting blocks to have a good fast time. The Sprinter cannot come out of the blocks cold. That is why you see the Olympic Sprinters make several practice starts and false starts out of their blocks before the starter's gun goes off for real and the Sprinter must precisely time his launch just like the trigger finger must precisely time the shot when the sight picture is desirable. The sight picture is the same as the Sprinter's Starter's gun. The Sight picture is our signal to break the shot. That is why you will see good shooters that use a single stage trigger tapping(pumping) the trigger several times making the muscles "warmed" up and practicing the timing for the actual athletic event of breaking the shot. I think that it is much easier for the two stage trigger shooter to make a series of these preliminary warmup movements because he has the first stage to move through, barely feel his second stage and then let off the trigger again. Of course if the second stage is set too light it will be very difficult to make preliminary finger "warmup" movement without breaking the shot prematurely. This "warmup of the muscle movement" analogy of the Sprinters legs to the shooter's trigger finger is very common in Competitive rifle circles. Every time I hear this example it reminds me of just how valuable that trigger finger is to all of us.

Bobby R. Huddleston
diopter

Thanks Ed

Post by diopter »

Thanks Ed

I started doing the 'trigger pump" as a trigger finger placement and grip checking procedure since reading your post. I am doing it right after picking up the gun with the action open and watch how much movement the sights have, and adjust accordingly.
I managed to get six 10's on one target during the slowfire .22 stage with my Pardini and irons last night. Timed and rapid were very good too.

Also made me realize that the grips on my M52 had to go.
I changed from my too large, un-checkered Herret adjustable shelf grips to the narrower Herret non-adjustable style with checkering that my brother gave me. Much easier to keep the same grip and trigger placement from shot to shot.

I'll pass the idea along to others in need.
David Gray

Finger Momement

Post by David Gray »

A very interesting discussion. I will definitely try Ed's suggestion of "finger pumping" when I am next on the range.

Personally, I find my trigger finger movement and control to be one of the biggest problems I have in shooting accurately.

Regards
Dave
jackh

Post by jackh »

I too have seen Steve R pump/prep the trigger when he visited our range a couple times prior to Perry. I didn't know it until Roddy pointed it out to me. Then I realized it was a similar thing to what my mentor/coach in the 1970's said. LtCol Miller said to press lightly on the fired trigger to see any effect on the sights. Not too hard. And learn from that.

Not only Reiter but another High Master preps the trigger as well that I have seen. It helps me find the trigger finger position for a proper pull and to set up for a good continuous press.

This probably wont always apply to FP though
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Moving the finger

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

Isn't this what field target shooters call "milking the trigger?" Granted their triggers are much lighter than 500 grms, but it could still lead to a premature shot with our 500 plus gram triggers. Sliding your finger up and down on the trigger to find your desired trigger engagement postion is not the same as milking the trigger.

I thought once you engage the trigger you continue a deliberate steady pull until shot release or you abort the shot.
Hochhauser