Morini Compensators

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pgfaini

Morini Compensators

Post by pgfaini »

Does anybody know if it's possible to install a 162EI compensator on a 162E? If so, is it a "drop in"? Would like to get rid of that bit of muzzle jump to improve my follow through.

Paul
Fred

Post by Fred »

I did this. Couldn't be easier: one set screw, self-centering. But it did not help muzzle jump at all. YMMV

FredB
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Thanks Fred, Didn't know if the bbls were the same diameter, the sight bases for the 162E and the 162EI have different part nos. in the owner's manuals. (This is for the older EI without the comp).
I was tempted to port the sight base on mine, but was afraid to affect accuracy. This gun's really accurate, with several brand 4.50 pellets, giving me sub 1/4" one-hole 5 shot groups from my machine vise. Don't want to ruin a good thing. Did you do accuracy tests before and after changing?

Paul
Fred

Post by Fred »

The perceived muzzle "jump" on my 162E was the same with the stock sight carrier, with a stock sight carrier I modified with drilling and internal tubing to be similar to a firearm-type compensator, and with the 162EI sight carrier/moderator with the holes arranged radially in front. It also did not change when blocking all the different possible combinations of holes on the carrier/moderator. I never tried the 162EI carrier/moderator with all the holes along the length. With all the ones that I tried, the muzzle "jump" always felt significantly greater than with my Steyr LP-1 (CO2), so I don't think it was just bad technique on my part. I gave up and traded the 162E for another gun.

The only accuracy testing I did was of my home-made "compensator" to make sure the tubing I installed was not causing problems.

Bottom line, these are not compensators, and should not be expected to control muzzle movement. Took me a while to learn this.

FredB
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Try the SAM comp like they had on the M10. Fits perfectly, you can use the same front sight, and this one definitely helps reduce muzzle jump.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Thanks Fred, You've probably saved me a lot of fruitless trial and error.

Tycho, I'm not familiar with the SAM M10. Who would have these comps? Thanks, Paul
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I think it's the same design they use nowadays on the K14/K15 series, so they should be available from anyone selling SAM AP's. Otherwise, try www.samlugano.ch - the boss' name is Marco Dolina, and he's usually really helpful.