MEDALIST 888 QUESTIONS

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Steve N

MEDALIST 888 QUESTIONS

Post by Steve N »

I am considering buying a Medalist 888 for 10m indoor shooting. I will only shoot in my basement as there are no clubs, etc. in the Cleveland, OH area, at least that I could find.

I want to have something competitive, in case I find a club, and I think this one will work.

I do have some questions first:

1. Can the 2.5 oz CO2 cylinder be refilled from a 20 oz bulk tank? If yes, what type of fittings do I need to refill the tank?

2. Does anyone have personal experience with this rifle? If yes, what types of problems, etc. have you had with it?

My only concern with CO2 is that I will constantly have to be running up to get refills. If I don't get the Medalist, I'm considering the 853 single stroke. Does anyone have experience with the 853?

I do have a budget, so the higher end guns are not within my reach right now.

Steve
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

We use 888's in our club. Good gun. If you are larger framed you might want to consider the new 887. It has a higher comb and a larger and more pronounced pistol grip. I've had an 888 stocked gun for a few months. There was a delay on shipping but they are shipping now. Mine came in yesterday. The 887 also has upgraded front and rear sights.

Both guns use the same 2.5 oz CO2 cylinder. I'm not sure how to refill it from a 20 oz cylinder. We refill from a 20 pound cylinder purchased from a welding supply house. It must have a dip or syphon tube so you don't have to turn it upside down to fill. You can use a 10# tank but they usually don't come with a dip tube. Also, any place that fills paint ball cylinders can fill the 888/887 cylinders. Spare cylinder are relatively cheap so get a spare.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Richie, Thank you for the info. I haven't seen any info on the 887, even on the Daisy website. I'm -11, but not really bulky, so I think the 888 will be fine for me.

If the bulk tank has a siphon or dip tube, doesn't that mean that the 2.5 oz cylinder is filled with liquid, not gaseous, CO2? This is assuming the 20# bulk tank is pressurized to the point where the CO2 turns to a liquid. I always assumed (and you know what happens when you assume) that the CO2 was just stored as a high-pressure gas in the smaller cylinder. I can see where storing it as a liquid will give more shots, based on the CO2's density.

I'll have to check with my local welding supply shop to see if I can buy or rent a bulk cylinder of CO2. Going up to the local sporting goods store once a week will get old fast.

Steve
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Another question: Is the 20# bulk cylinder like a propane tank for your grill, only with a valve and fitting for CO2? Or is it like an "M" size welding cylinder, sort of like a SCUBA tank?
SrichieR

Post by SrichieR »

A 20# tank looks a lot like an oxygen tank but only about 2' tall and 8" diameter. Welders use them for shield gas. In Alabama a tank will cost about $100-200. Refills are about $25. For just one gun I'm not sure I would make the investment. I think extra cylinders are about $40.

The 888/887 definately uses liquid CO2. Without getting into thermodynamics, as long as there is liquid in the cylinder and the temperature remains constant then the pressure will be constant. This eliminates the need for a pressure regulator like what is found in the more expensive precision compressed air rifles. With 2.5oz of liquid the gun is rated for 300 shots per fill. Can't say I've ever counted them but I would say 300 is probably pretty close.

The 887 is like the 753 on Daisy's website but it uses the 888 barreled action and adapters. The forestock on the 887 is shaped like the 888 but from the trigger back it is like the 753. Comes in a brown laminate and has the sights like the 753.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If you are taller than 5'6" go for the 887. You won't be disappointed

Get a 20# bulk cylinder, yeah it's about $100 (filled). Make sure it has a "dip-tube" ... i.e it gets liquid off the bottom of the cylinder instead of gas off of the top. To refill the tank is about $17 here in Albuquerque.

Daisy has a "refill station" P/N 5861 ($35) that connects to the bulk tank to fill the rifle tank.

If you get the bulk fill tank go to Walmart or Staples and also get a postal scale that can weigh in grams. Fill your cylinders (total weight) to 475 grams max
Steve N

WHERE CAN I GET AN 887?

Post by Steve N »

Anyone know where I can get an 887? Pyramydair never heard of them. Pilkguns doesn't have them. Champion's Choice lists the 887, but it is out of stock. Airguns of Arizona doesn't list it. Even the Daisy website does not list the 887. I went to the "where to buy" section on the Daisy website and none of the "dealers" even list the 887.

A Google search for Daisy 887 air rifle doesn't send me anywhere. I'd like to get a rifle before the end of January.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Denise Johnson
Daisy Outdoor Products
Special Markets/Customer Service
479-621-4317
djohnso@daisy.com

Denise should be able to help
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

I ordered one in July. When they weren't shipping till December I ordererd a stock instead. Guess what arrived at my house the day after Christmas.

If you are interested, e-mail me at SRichieR@aol.com

Sam

Post by Guest »

Yeah, my club ordered a couple of 887's for our sporter teams back in June or July and just got them in a couple of days ago.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I'm 6'2" and the 887 / 753 type stock fit me pretty well. Just call Daisy up on the phone and get them to send you one. They're pretty new, so right now, only Daisy has them.

Mike
Wichita KS