Junior olympic Championships

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WaltherWill

Junior olympic Championships

Post by WaltherWill »

Does anyone know the invitational process for the Junior Olympic National Championships at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs? I know I have to shoot in a JORC (regional championship) match, but is there a score I must shoot or just place within the top x-amount of shooters?
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

2007 STATE JUNIOR OLYMPIC SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIPS
AIR RIFLE AND SMALLBORE RIFLE

All state Junior Olympic air rifle matches must be conducted using USA Shooting Rules. The
course of fire must be 60 shots for men and 40 shots for women at 10 meters, using .177 caliber
air rifles.

All state Junior Olympic smallbore rifle matches must be conducted using USA Shooting Rules.
The course of fire must be 60 shots (3x20) for both men and women at 50 feet.

While air rifle and smallbore rifle are separate competitions, both may be held in the same time
frame.

One male and one female State Qualifier will be invited per state provided they fire above the
minimum required “State Qualifier” score. Automatic invitations are issued to all who fire above
the minimum “automatic invite” score. Remaining at-large competitors will be ranked by age
category and score and invited up to range capacity.

AIR RIFLE

State Qualifier Score
40 shot score / 60 shot score

J1 380 / 575

J2 370 / 565
J3 360 / 545

Automatic Invite Score

J1 380 / 575

J2 370 / 565

J3 360 / 545

SMALLBORE RIFLE

State Qualifier Score
3x20 course of fire score
Women / Men

J1 560 / 570
J2 550 / 550
J3 540 / 540

Automatic Invite Score
3x20 course of fire score
Women / Men

J1 575 / 575

J2 565 / 570

J3 545 / 550

And here is the link http://www.usashooting.com/modules.php? ... oad&sid=67 then go down to state information packet

<>Brian<>
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

I have this download except the automatic invite scores are higher for air rifle (I think it's just a typo in your post). What happens then if there are more shooters that are automatically invited than their range can support?
anschutzshooter

Post by anschutzshooter »

Chances are that there won't be more people to automatically qualify than the range can support (although I suppose if there's a sudden surge in high scores/participation it's possible someday). Males and females don't shoot on the same days, so they aren't trying to fit a lot of relays in during one day. The OTC can handle A LOT of shooters. At 3X Air they had around 200 shooters shooting 4 events in 3 days. Hope that helped a little bit.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

WaltherWill wrote:I have this download except the automatic invite scores are higher for air rifle (I think it's just a typo in your post). What happens then if there are more shooters that are automatically invited than their range can support?
No typo, if you win your state match you only have to shoot the qualify score for your age group, but if you don't win then you have to shoot the
automatically invite score. Its tougher for a reason.

<>Brian<>
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

[/quote]State Qualifier Score

J1 380 / 575

J2 370 / 565
J3 360 / 545

Automatic Invite Score

J1 380 / 575

J2 370 / 565

J3 360 / 545

I meant that the official one has higher auto invite scores.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Oops, my bad. Your right that was a typo.
State Qualifier Score

J1 380 / 575
J2 370 / 565
J3 360 / 545
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

I also heard something about the Smallbore scores not counting for much. The JORC match is now requiring USA 50 targets instead of A-36's on which the old invitations were based. Shooting practice on these new targets causes my score to drop about 10-15 points!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The JORC match is now requiring USA 50 targets instead of A-36's on which the old invitations were based. Shooting practice on these new targets causes my score to drop about 10-15 points!
Are you shooting REAL OLD ARMY A-36's (with the 1 & 2 rings???) :-)

It may be the paper .... There is only 1 vendor for the USA-50 targets, and I've found we have to plug almost every hole ... MAKE SURE you are using the USA-50 plugs .... the only place I found those was Neil Johnsons.
I have not measured them (good project for today), but the A-36 plug is different I think.

I do find that my shooters shoot slightly lower scores at 50ft than at 50yd/m.
============================
Add on:

Hmmmmm....
My (new) A-36 outward gauge measures 9.17mm and my USA-50 outward measures 8.98mm , so the A-36 would be a more forgiving gauge. (USAS rules state that 9.03mm is the MAX (+0.0, -.05), so the A-36 gauge is way too forgiving) It appears that my USA-50 gauge is pretty "mean" ... right on the lower limit
WaltherWill

Old Army?

Post by WaltherWill »

My (new) A-36 outward gauge measures 9.17mm and my USA-50 outward measures 8.98mm , so the A-36 would be a more forgiving gauge.
We scored ours with the inward gauge which shouldn't be different between targets because it's based on the size of the bullet, but I think with outside scoring the bigger gauge would be less forgiving since it cuts the outside ring more easily. The reason our scores drop so much (if you look at the target it's not that much smaller) is because the scoring rules say you have to completely cover the dot with inside scoring to score a ten. The dot of the USA 50 is about three times the size of the A-36 so it's alot harder to shoot a ten.
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

I don't know if the A-36 are the "old army" targets. I do know that they do not have 1 or 2 rings. They end at the three ring and they have no rings outside the black. These are the 50 ft targets that my club uses for NRA junior classification stuff like distinguished expert.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

You are using a USA-50 inner, correct ?.... it does have a "lip" to compensate for the thicker lines..... A "straight" 22 caliber gauge is not the right one to use for an inner.

This lip should help cover the dot
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

Well, I dont think this plug was bought especially for the USA 50 but it does have the lip and is the same diameter as the rules call for for inward scoring
TWP

Post by TWP »

WaltherWill wrote:I also heard something about the Smallbore scores not counting for much. The JORC match is now requiring USA 50 targets instead of A-36's on which the old invitations were based. Shooting practice on these new targets causes my score to drop about 10-15 points!
USA Shooting has required the USA50 target for at least the last 4 or 5 years I have been involved in precision shooting.

The USA 50 target is does result in lower point scores than the A36 does.
merricus

Post by merricus »

Be aware you should always be using an outer gauge for scoring. Inner gauges are used for inner tens (centers) and for shots on the outside of the bull (3&4). Of course for outdoors an inner gauge is all you can use.

The NRA will be moving to the USA target slowly also. International is supposed to be using the target this year for the sectionals. Word is Next year all NRA sectionals will be shot on it. I have still not gotten an answer on when the new targets will be available yet, the USA shooting target does not have an NRA stamp on them so they typically could not be used for NRA registered Matches Like Sectionals.