Unique DES/VO

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
quest guest

Unique DES/VO

Post by quest guest »

Ok, I am completely new to this sport. I am in the process of buying a Unique DES/VO .22 Short pistol. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. I also have a big question which may determine if I indeed buy this pistol: Where in the United States can I find parts, and very important, spare magazines? Again, your help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a Walther OSP and GSP in .22 Short, .32 S&W Long, and .22 Long Rifle; but I know about Earl's Gun Repair as a great source in the U.S.

Post by Guest »

While the Unique is an excellent pistol, what is your intended purpose? I only ask since the 22 short is currently not used much in competition. It is no longer allowed for Rapid Fire. In fact, I believe it's only competitive use right now is NRA 50' gallery course. You could use it for 2700 matches, but it is not terribly competitive, even in a fine pistol like the Unique.
Quest Guest

Unique DES/VO

Post by Quest Guest »

While the Olympics have culled out the .22 Short, the local matches/clubs in my area will still be plugging away, informally of course. Not so much for competition, but a hobby and to talk to folks who have the same interests.

I am too old and set in my ways to put a lot of effort into any precision sport, but young enough to enjoy the thought of it, and the informal shoots are a blast. The pistol is just one of several guns to be gained in a gun trade I am working on; am allowing the other guy about $800 for his Unique, cased, three mags, extra barrel...

Having the Olympics cut out the .22 Short Rapid Fire is a bit of a dampener, but I just have always wanted one and can finally get one at a decent price, but thanks for your message

Post by Guest »

It sounds like you like the gun, and like the price. You may wish to try Larry Carter for parts. Check out larrysguns.com
When Don Nygord passed away, it was Larry who picked up a lot of Don's old stock. Since Don was once an importer for Unique, there is a chance that Larry would now have old parts. From what I've heard from Unique owners that shouldn't be too much of a problem since the Unique is not too prone to problems.
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

While not exactly germane to your topic, I've had a DES 32-U for years now and can attest to the very high quality of the pistol. Despite the RF rule change, it would be a great pistol to own!

Bill
shadow

Unique

Post by shadow »

I have a friend who had a Unique. He is in his 90's now. About 10 years ago he had great difficulties in finding parts for it. He eventually destroyed the pistol. I have never forgiven him fo it!
utemarksman

My thoughts on . . .

Post by utemarksman »

PRICE:

$800 for a DES/VO is great deal for a 99% collector's piece. If it's for shooting that price is a little steep. (I'll leave the decision up to you; after all, I paid $900 for my DES 69 and I do not regret it)

PARTS:

Do a search on this board for UNIQUE and there will be several threads discussing parts. If in the unlikely event you need parts the company that bought Unique claims to still have parts and do repairs on all unique pistols. (How good is your french and are you willing to work foreign for gun repair?)

If the grips that come with the gun don't suit you, you will need to get a custom set or make them yourself. I am not aware of anyone that produces them.

EXPERIENCE:

Despite the change in the Olympic rules I also wanted to own a .22 short gun, simply for grins. I have DES 823-U and although it is fun to shoot it is not reliable enough for even informal competitive use. It's not the same as the DES/VO, but the action is similar.

.22 SHORT

My personal experience with the .22 short cartrige has been less than gratifying. Compared to the .22LR they are more expensive, less reliable, less consistent and harder to find.

BEING THE NEW GUY:

When I was "completely new to this sport" I nearly gave up because of a gun that didn't work properly. Anything that causes malfunctions will be a detriment to your enjoyment of the sport. (By the way my problematic gun was NOT a Unique)

UNIQUE IN GENERAL:

For what it's worth, there are two other members of my club shooting the .22LR DES-69 for rapid fire, all of us have good results and none of us have malfunctions that are attributable to the gun.