Fas 603 Recoil Buffer

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dazza

Fas 603 Recoil Buffer

Post by dazza »

Anybody have any idea on what causes the premature failure of the FAS 603 recoil buffer? The last one I installed lasted approx 300 shots, had gone soft and was crumbling.

The only load I use is 1.5 grains of WST and Federal small pistol primers. I have heard that posiibly the type of lubrication being used could be the cause, the 2 lubricants (and no solvents) that I have tried are Formula 3 (Kleenbore) and Inox, both of which have been used very sparingly; if this is the cause can anybody advise a compatible lubrication product.

Thanks in advance
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I never had a buffer fail in years of shooting a 603 a lot.

The only lubricant I ever used was Break Free.

Buffer clips are more of a problem. I would recommend changing them at least twice a year. That may sound over the top but the damage that can result from a broken 603 clip is severe.
Mike Taylor

buffer pad

Post by Mike Taylor »

I've had buffer pads fail (crumble) in my 601. The principal cause seemed to me to be "old age". The buffer pads can lose their elasticity over time and then can no longer absorb the recoil energy. In one instance, the replacement buffer I ordered from the dealer lasted only five shots. It had been sitting on his shelf for too long and had dried out. Elastomers can lose their resiliency over time. Usually the pads become harder as they age. If your pad was soft, perhaps it was the wrong material. They do come in different elasticities.
Mike T.
mister G

Post by mister G »

Recoil buffer pads and O-rings degrade quickly after they come in contact with petroleum-based lubes. If you "oil" your gun, you can't prevent some of it from reaching the buffer. Better to do preventative maintenance.

I stripped my 601 several years ago and found all the O-rings had turned to a yellow, waxy consistency which resulted in no pressure-holding ability. I replaced the rings and coated them with a small amount of silicone grease (looks like white Vaseline) and haven't had a problem since.

The silicone lube is available in several places. I bought a tube at a scuba dive shop.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

mister G wrote:I stripped my 601 several years ago and found all the O-rings had turned to a yellow, waxy consistency which resulted in no pressure-holding ability.
I think you may mean the 604 (or 606). I cannot think of any O-rings on a 601.
mister G

Post by mister G »

You're correct, of course. Matter of fact, I had all but the 601. Don Nygord sold me an extended front sight for the AP at the nationals back in 1983 and it was very good except for its tendency to expand and contract with temperature fluctuations.

I sold the 604 after I bought a Steyr, still have the 603 but retired the 602 after 27 years of loyalty.