What do you all think of this rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TargetTerror

What do you all think of this rifle?

Post by TargetTerror »

I've seen this one up on Neal Johnson's site for a while:

http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/UsedTgtRifle.html

I'm talking about the "54 Anschutz," for $1200. It looks like it has one of his fiberglass stocks and a bunch of accessories.

Does anyone have any experience with Neal and/or his stocks or used rifles? Does this seem like a good deal?

Thanks!
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Neal is not the best as far as customer service goes any time I e-mail I have never gotten a response and when I call him some times someone will pick up. I ask my question they go and ask some one and they don't come back. I think that he has as much work from Colorado springs that he want's. So he do's not seem to care about the rest of us. That said a Ans 54 is a nice rifle but I have never used a fiberglass stock so I don't know about that. Maybe someone out there has had better luck with Neal?

<>Brian<>
ADC59

Smallbore Rifle/Gunsmithing Inc/Fiberglass Stocks

Post by ADC59 »

I'll have to say I've had much better luck with Gunsmithing Inc than Brian has. They carry a good product line and their service has always been very good for me. I've purchase new parts, used parts, and a used rifle or two from Gunsmithing.

With regard to the rifle in question, I note that Gunsmithing has rated it in "fair" condition. They look over their consignment rifles carefully and so there is a reason for this fair condition rating. I would call and ask to talk to the gunsmith. Shane is the name of the guy I usually talk with. The gunsmith will be familiar with that rifle and should be able to describe its condition to you. My question would be: why do you think it is in "fair" condition? It does have sights and some other extras, but $1,200 might be a bit steep.

Bob Foth, 3 position Olympic Silver medalist in 1992, shot with a Gunsmithing Inc fiberglass stock. I think they should work just fine and I wouldn't hesitate to use one. The big downside to a fiberglass stock is that you can't file or sand on it to customize the fit. In smallbore they've been supplanted by aluminum stocks. Fiberglass stocks are still popular for high power rifles.

Alan Carey