keeping the sights aligned?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Fred B wrote:
Ed, thank you, thank you, thank you, for taking the time and effort to post your thoughts on these fundamental topics. And each new posting seems even a little clearer and more relevant than the previous (clear and relevant) ones - a little closer to the essence of what we all are trying to do. Please keep it up.

echo...echo...echo...echo...echo....
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Keep up the good work Ed.

Shoot me an email when you want to discuss/philosophize.

Over and out.

Steve
Tomack

Post by Tomack »

pulling the trigger in 1/10 of a second from start to finish is going to set up a series of events that are likely to be not too acceptable , at least with target shooting. And to be repeatable is also unlikely. What happened to the start the trigger moving , keep the trigger moving while keeping the sights aligned while in the arc of movement ? The latter won't happen in 1/10 of a sec. Guess i must have missed something
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Tomack wrote:pulling the trigger in 1/10 of a second from start to finish is going to set up a series of events that are likely to be not too acceptable , at least with target shooting. And to be repeatable is also unlikely. What happened to the start the trigger moving , keep the trigger moving while keeping the sights aligned while in the arc of movement ? The latter won't happen in 1/10 of a sec. Guess i must have missed something
Oh, ye of little faith...

Although a portion of your post is based in reality, there is more to it, as always. If you start out with the intention of instantly yanking the trigger, there will indeed be various effects upon the gun. But if you choose instead to be smooth, the speed can be realized without the disturbances.

I like to promote the following exercise, which I invite you to try and respond back to this thread:

1. Take your gun to a safe location with seating available.
2. Ensure it is totally unloaded.
3. Check both chamber and magazine again for safety.
4. Prepare the gun to dry fire.
5. Sit in a chair with the gun supported with the non-shooting hand.
6. Place the gun in the shooting hand with proper grip.
7. Support the gun with the non-shooting hand and place it in your lap comfortably, but still pointing in a safe direction. Loosen your non-shooting hand grip, but still provide some support.
8. While looking in the direction the gun is pointed, for safety, make a determined, but smooth trigger finger movement to dry fire the gun.
9. How long did it take? Your first try might take a second or two.
10. Repeat the above a few more times trying to stay smooth, but increasing the determination of your action.
11. After about twenty of these, do one with a quick "instantaneous" yank and think about the difference between it and the determined, but smooth, operation.
12. Compare the difference and then start looking at the top of the gun while performing the smooth operation described in 8 above.
13. Watch the gun for another yank as in 11 above.
14. Go back to the operation for 12 above for about twenty more times and note how long the trigger movement takes.
15. Determine how fast you can bring the trigger back in the controlled manner and report back to the thread.

Rember that this is one session working with a new subject in an experimental mode. Let us know your results. They may very well be greater than 100 milliseconds, but I think even for your first try you will find yourself capable of well less than 1 second.

Note: I do not consider this to be "THE" way, but I do consider this to be A way of operating the trigger. The biggest factor I consider important is that the subconscious can rely with solid confidence in the operation of the trigger.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Tomack

Post by Tomack »

Seems like an interesting experiment, i'll try it over the next several days .
Tomack

Post by Tomack »

My faith hath been restoreth, or something like that. Actually anytime a 2600 shooter speaks , i will usually shut up and listen. After numerous sessions of following Ed's exercise I am duly impressed . Starting with a normal 2 second controlled pull and throwing in an occasional jerk , it wasnt long that my 2 second controlled trigger pull ended up in a pull that was just as fast as a jerk but with control. NO pistol/sight movement .There is no doubt that a controlled shot can be done in 1/10 of a second with a reasonable level of pistol/sights stability or at least as fast as a jerk without control. I applied the same exercise with my 10 meter air pistol discipline and although the results are not quite the same as previous targets where i am able to shoot my normal number of tens along with the long shots from holding too long. My group is somewhat larger, but all my shots are much easier to shoot, not as many tens but no long shots. Hopefully practice will improve results. I am anxious to try this to bring up my poor performance with sustained fire. Sustained fire is where I really want to improve upon and that is why I posted the negative 1/10 sec shot in the first place. I guess time will tell. Thanks Ed, i hope the path is clear.
Lee Sellers

Post by Lee Sellers »

Rapid trigger manipulation is very possible. Look at the IPSC shooters. Granted they are shooting a very large target compared to AP but they still need delicate control to hit it 8 times in 3.5 seconds, all with recoil.
Pradeep5

Post by Pradeep5 »

Those open-class IPSC guns are all very nice in recoil, they push straight back, hardly any muzzle flip up.