hammerli 280 or Pardini sp

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dam8

hammerli 280 or Pardini sp

Post by dam8 »

both are world class, how do these compare?

Post by Guest »

Some important differences: The Pardini is in production and is well supported by Larry Carter and Pardini. It is rare to find a Pardini with "issues". The Hammerli is out of production, but parts and service are available. It is not uncommon to find a 280 with accuracy problems, among other things. Given that most 280s on the market are used, if you find one for sale, you have to wonder why. Of course, if you know someone selling one for a good price and you can try it and know the individual, that might be a good deal. You might get one of the good ones. Simply put, the Pardini is a safer bet.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Basically "non-support" becomes a big issue for owning a gun that is no longer in manufacture. Parts supplies become "iffy" if non-existent. I owned the Unique DES69U, an excellent standard pistol, when the factory closed and the parts & machinery turned into scrap---I sold the gun. It's crazy enough in the target shooting world without having to go nuts looking for a $2.00 part ---that will now cost you 20-30X the price---if you can find it. Stick with Pardini, it's almost a non issue gun.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Anonymous wrote: It is not uncommon to find a 280 with accuracy problems, among other things.
The original question asked about the 280 and the Pardini SP, so we can assume we are talking about a .22LR pistol. Can the poster of the quote above provide ANY evidence to support it? Ask Larry Carter, the long-time Hammerli importer: ALL of the Hammerli 280s in .22LR are "good ones".

FredB
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Yup. The only accuracy complaints I've ever heard of about the Hammerli 280 are the tendency of the early 280s IN .32 CALIBER to throw a shot - very consistently, but throw the shot.

My own will throw the first shot 4 inches high. Always the first shot, always the same amount in the same direction.....but the .22LR unit works perfectly.

I've heard, but not verified, that the later units, identifiable by having one large spigot for the upper instead of two small ones, were much more accurate with the .32 cartridge.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Mike M. wrote:Yup. The only accuracy complaints I've ever heard of about the HammerMy own will throw the first shot 4 inches high. Always the first shot, always the same amount in the same direction.....but the .22LR unit works perfectly.
Interesting.

The first hot of the day? The first shot of the magazine, the first shot after cleaning ?

J
greblleM

Post by greblleM »

My 280 .22lr is as accurate as a .22lr will get. With the right ammo it will make a -4mm grouping (center-to-center) at 25 meters. And it will never malfunction! I've fired a lot of shots with it and it has never ever malfunctioned except for the use of bad ammo.

My 280 .32 is extremely accurate with good ammo. Somewhere around 10mm center-to-center (one big hole) at 25 meters. If I use "weak" ammo (like Fiocchi) it will throw the first shot ~10 centimeters at eight 'o clock. "Hotter" ammo like Norma and Magtech work very well! (+580p)

The world record for Centerfire is set with a 280 (298 (with an 8, hehe) + 299 = 597!)

The 280 is a highy regarded pistol in Sweden. I've never met someone who don't like them very much.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

greblleM wrote:The world record for Centerfire is set with a 280 (298 (with an 8, hehe) + 299 = 597!)
That 597, whilst being a brilliant CISM record, is not an ISSF World Record. They can only be shot in CF Pistol at World and Continental Championships.

Any shooter therefore only has a maximum of 3 chances every 4 years to set a World Record.
greblleM

Post by greblleM »

I know, but still. It's not like he did it at his local gunrange with no pressure upon him. :)
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

The first shot from every magazine, using Lapua ammo, will go high. Very predictable.