FAS 607 Options please.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tpow

FAS 607 Options please.

Post by tpow »

Hi
I'm looking at buying a FAS 607. I have fired one at my club; I found that I liked the pistol. Options please, any problems or things to lookout for etc.
Thanks Tpow
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

IMHO the FAS602 (with the heavy barrel weight) was the most forgiving and easy to shoot Standard Pistol I ever shot. The 607, whilst keeping the same basic design, unfortunately lost the extreme muzzle heavy balance. As a plus point though they did combine the hammer and trigger boxes which was a great improvement.

All in all the 607 is an extremely good gun but it does need a bit more tender loving care than many. If you are willing to spend a bit of time servicing it and have access to spares then you will have good gun.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I own the .32 version (603) but have also shot both the 602 & 607 on a number of occasions. They really are fantastic guns and as David said, they are very forgiving. Had I not already purchased an AW93 before I discovered FAS pistols through my 603, a 602 or 607 would have been my first choice for a .22 as well. They do require regular spring and buffer replacements, but these easily done and are a small price to pay. Luckily you are in Australia as Potter Firearms up in Queensland is probably the best provider of FAS spare parts outside of Europe. Just make sure you place your hand over the top of the pistol when you eject the magazine as it is quite easy to launch the mag up into the air and into the ground (the mag lips can be easily damaged which will effect feeding). For this reason (having learnt from one unfortunate experience) I always look after the ejection and reloading of magazines when lending my FAS to newbies to try out.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Only thing I can say in a negative fashion, as I remember mine it needed new firing pins every so often (once a year)--they tended to be rather "soft" to say the least, I finally got a machinist to make a pair for me from good steel.
JamesH

FAS 607

Post by JamesH »

The FAS would be my pistol of choice. I had a 601 and 602, I would like a 607, I just can't buy one south of the equator.

They are fairly forgiving, I think the trigger pivot point is ideal which helps.
I preferred the Match 1 barrel weight to the heavy Match 2.

Cons
The rearsight blades are not easily changeable
They do need to be kept clean or the aluminium slide shroud can wear
The barrel is a bit soft and the breach face face can get peened if dirty
The extractor slot in the barrel has a razor edge which can get dinged into the chamber
The grip angle is essentially fixed
There is no separate trigger over-travel stop
They seem to prefer European ammunition
The recoil absorber should apparently be changed regularly, although I never did.