Air Arms S200

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Due to a mix up, I have a NIB 887. If you are interested e-mail me at SRichieR@aol.com.
tenshot

Post by tenshot »

Does the S200 have an accessory rail and does it come with the sling and spacer abillity like the 88's do, or will it be an added expense,
from what I take it would.
What is the stock trigger like on the S200 and if needed is there an easy fix to lighten and smooth it.
I am contemplating a mix of 888, 887's or the S200's for a new club purchase, and would like to stay to one form of fill.
Would the 888 be any better for a smaller framed shooter as opposed to the 887 or are they about equal over all other than the higher comb.
I know the 888 will benefit from the upgraded sights
If you were to buy for a new club what would be your choice and why.( pros and cons)
I have a few people to convince either way and some extra knowledge from those that have used or been around both would help us in making a better informed choice.

Thanks in advance for the help
Lee
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Lee ... it depends on your shooters.

Here in NM I've found that an 888 is too heavy and too long for my younger kids (8-10 year olds) ... Unless they are big for their age.
I have 3 XS-40's that I have them shoot .... in some of the smallest I even remove the XS-40 buttplate and glue on a thin sheet of rubber .... like a mousepad bottom.

At 11 I'll see some of my female shooters that begin to grow be able to move up and handle an 888 ... Usually the boys are about a year behind

My own 11 year old daughter was way too small for her 888 last year and shot the XS-40 ... this year she is shooting her 888 w/887 stock weighted up to 6.75 lbs. It's amazing the difference of only a year.... I still have 3-4 of her male counterparts older than she is continuing on the XS-40

(Update 2/11/2007: She just shot her first 500 in our 3-P Sectional yesterday .... last year she shot a 421 .. a PR at that time ... again, the difference of a year)
jeffgeorge

filling the 888? Please help

Post by jeffgeorge »

I have ordered an 888 for my daughter, it should be here today, 1-10-08. Yesterday I met with an ROTC team and the commader stongly advised me to return the gun immediatly and get the s200. He had problems with filling the Co2 on the 888. Went on to say that the compressed air on the s200 was much easier to deal with. I would value any input for you experienced folks with this. Please email me at
skyratcalls@yahoo.com.

How do you fill the tanks, do you have a bulk tank at home? Where do you buy the co2 to fill the bulk tank? Expensive?

Thanks for your help, Jeff
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

This is just my opinion, but I like the 888/887 much better than the S200/XS40's

I use my XS40's for my youngest shooters, once they hit about 12 years old, I move them to the slightly heavier 888 or 887
(I think the S200 stock is WAAAAYYYYYY to long for younger shooters)

I have a 20lb CO2 bottle and do all the tank fills at my home. To fill the tank is about $17 and lasts me (with 12-15 shooters 3 days a week) about 6 weeks

Yes it is a bit more of a hassle to fill, but it's not bad at all ...

Remember if you get the S200 and a scuba tank to fill it, a scuba tank is usually a bit more expensive (than an initial filled CO2 diptube tank), takes a yearly Visual inspection (say about $20), and a 5 year Hydro test (Here in NM that's about $60-$80)
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I shoot a co2 AP.
In the beginning I was hessitant, but actually refilling co2 is not as complicated as I thought it would be. The only trick is the cool-down of the cylinder before you fill. That means I have to do it at home to be able to stick it in the fridge for 20 min, vs being able to refill at the range. At least I have not mastered the trick of venting the co2 in the cylinder to cool off the cylinder.

I have 2 cylinders, so if I ever find myself in the position of running out of co2 in my cylinder, I just switch to the 2nd cylinder. But w the size of AR cylinders vs AP cylinders, you should not run out of co2.

Oh the "trick" w co2 is you want to fill with LIQUID co2. So, you either need a syphon in the tank, to get the liquid co2 from the bottom of the tank, or you need to turn the tank upside down when you load. You can easily turn a 5 pound tank upside down and fill the cylinder, a 10 pound tank is harder, and you really don't want to turn a 20 pound tank upside down.

Check the pilkguns web site, they have a good post about filling w co2.