Smallbore barrel life

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TomN

Smallbore barrel life

Post by TomN »

A recent thread was discussing the expected lifespan of smallbore rifle barrels. Various writers suggested lifespans ranging from ~10,000 rounds to 200,000+ rounds. Is there any concensus on barrel lifespan? I suspect that lifespan is related to the intended use of the rifle, with short range (indoor or 50M) being somewhat more forgiving. Also, for non-elite shooters, the accuracy of the rifle may be sub-optimal but still exceeds the ability of the shooter.

But back to the question of barrel lifespan - Some of the Winchester 52s issued by the DCM to junior programs are nearing 50 years of use. If a rifle fires 300 rounds/week for 30 weeks/year for 50 years, that's 450,000 rounds! I've seen such rifles, and used on indoor ranges with standard quality ammo (i.e., not match quality rounds, and certainly not ammo selected for a particular barrel) they are still impressively accurate.
Lee Sellers - Guest

Post by Lee Sellers - Guest »

A number of years ago there was a kit that could be purchased that allowed one to connect two Ruger 10-22's or two M-1 Carbines together (top to top) on a tripod. There was a crank mechanism that actuated the triggers like a Gatling gun. You could shoot out both 50 round magazines in seconds. By the way this was ATF approved and not considered a Class III automatic. The regulations have since changed.

A good friend (who had the 10-22 setup) would shoot this at least 40 times per year. Never did he shoot less that 15 or so bricks of ammo. This went on for years so I’m confident that several millions of rounds went through the two barrels. I know I paid for at least 150 bricks over the six years I shot with him and some days four or five of us would venture out together, all of us bringing along a stash of ammo. These rifles still shot well when I moved away. We would take them out of the cradle and put them in stocks to go after rabbits. They shot on par with other 10-22’s when used it this fashion.

I know this is not scientific, and it represents only a couple of barrels, but the number of rounds and the rate of fire of these rounds is so far in excess of what a match gun suffers that I think some very general conclusions can be drawn. Consider that the 10-22 is a low-cost, massed produced barrel with thin walls and heavy taper.

I doubt that the low pressure, low temperature, soft generously well lubed bullets of the .22LR cause any wear at all (other than at the nano level). I ran junior programs for years and we had the DCM (now CMP) rifles that were decades old. These rifles were shot at least weekly year after year after year. Most could hold the center dot on the 50-foot target. When taken outdoors I cannot remember one that did not do well at 50 or 100 yards as well. We had a few that did not shoot well, until they were re-crowned. Then the accuracy returned.

So, in my limited view, the claims that a barrel is only good for 10,000 are way off. Now granted, the service rifle accuracy requirements for combat rifles is generous, but the current life of the chromed barrels shot in the M-16 series rifles goes over 10,000, and this is a high temp, high pressure round. (I’m not talking match AR’s here folks). With proper care I can’t see a .22LR not outliving its owner. And that with the owner starting as a kid. I’m sure others will disagree.