Morini 162EI - lack of rear sight adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Ariani

Morini 162EI - lack of rear sight adjustment

Post by John Ariani »

I'm trying the Morini 162EI and would like to "hold the centre bull". Problem is the rear sight adjustment doesn't allow me to do that. The Up - Down adjustment screw comes to a 'stop'. IE: I can get my groups low enough. Anyone else had this problem? Bett still...anyone have a solution for me? Thanks.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

1) Taller front sight
2) Lower rear sight

Check with Francesco at Morini (don't think Scott keeps any in stock) for 1) IIRC there is such a beast; you can accomplish 2) on your own with a vise, file, lots of patience and some sight black. Remember to make your cuts on a slight tilt/bias (sloping toward muzzle) to get a "clean" line along top of sights.

OBTW, I know of only a small handful of center-holders (even smaller for Morini users) but that having been said, this is the first time anyone has mentioned this issue.

There could be something else going on . . . ?

Steve Swartz
rk

Post by rk »

I tried to send this before, but I don't think it went through...

I have a CM162EI. When I shot center hold, I had the same problem. I used a shim under the front sight which solved the problem. A washer can be used as well. Remove the front sight, place the washer between the front sight and the compensator, and replace the screw (obviously, though the washer hole). Very little additional height is need to achieve the desired effect. The front sight should still ride in the compensator's front sight slot (to control rotation). Worked well for me (and a couple of Marine shooters at 3X Air).

Rich K.
Fred

Post by Fred »

John,
I have dealt with this on a number of pistols, as I shoot center hold. Here are some solutions, in order of preference:

1. Examine the rear sight to see if it is bottoming out on the grip. Remove the grip, lower the rear sight as far as it will go, and then observe it as you replace the grip. You may see the sight being pushed up by the grip, in which case you simply relieve the offending wood.

2. Shim the front sight, as rk suggested.

3. I do not believe that Morini makes a higher front for the AP. However I think that the front for the FP is higher and might work.

4. If I remember correctly, some Morini AP rear sights bottomed out when a vertical screw reached the end of its travel, rather than when the sight body itself bottomed out. I remember Don Nygord explaining to me how to fix that, but I don't remember the details. Scott P should know about this.

5. Do not file on the rear sight.

HTH,
FredB
David M

Post by David M »

Higher front sights are available, as the sight from the other Morini pistols will fit.
The CM22 and 102 sights are higher and the Free Cm84 are taller again.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Steve, RK,Fred, David M - thanks for some comprehensive info. The rear sight isn't bottoming out - so I'll try the easiest first - washer under the front sight - and source a higher Mornini replacement.
"there could be something else going on..." (Steve Swartz)
Well, I'm disappointed at how poorly I can retain absolute focus on the front sight. My eyes (brain??) always seeking to flick quickly to the target, then back and forth to the sights with very poor shot executions. I use a wide 5mm front sight on both LP 10 and the Morini and so tried a different sight picture with the LP 10. I used the front sight, which (with my sight picture) just happens to be exactly the same width as the entire black circle - and I block out the black with this leaving what appears to be a blank target result. To do this, I must focus intently on the front sight (at last!!!!) and in the short space of time I've been doing it, my groupings have come in a couple of rings. It's worth pursuing - but in saying that I'm aware from my searching and reading on this forum, that the sub - six appears to be far more 'accepted'. However, I've often pondered on whether we really do know what 'sight hold' - say - the top 30 AP shooters use. Is that something they would rather keep to themselves - possibly as an advantage!!??
David M could throw in a line here? Olympian, Commonwealth Games champion, Australian record holder - legend in Australia that's for sure.
Fred Mannis

12 o'lock hold

Post by Fred Mannis »

John,
There is a discussion of the '12 o'clock' hold on a previous thread http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

If you look through Scott's interviews, you will find some discussions of where these top shooters hold.

Fred
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

John Ariani wrote:Steve, RK,Fred, David M - thanks for some comprehensive info. The rear sight isn't bottoming out - so I'll try the easiest first - washer under the front sight - and source a higher Mornini replacement.
"there could be something else going on..." (Steve Swartz)
Well, I'm disappointed at how poorly I can retain absolute focus on the front sight. My eyes (brain??) always seeking to flick quickly to the target, then back and forth to the sights with very poor shot executions. I use a wide 5mm front sight on both LP 10 and the Morini and so tried a different sight picture with the LP 10. I used the front sight, which (with my sight picture) just happens to be exactly the same width as the entire black circle - and I block out the black with this leaving what appears to be a blank target result. To do this, I must focus intently on the front sight (at last!!!!) and in the short space of time I've been doing it, my groupings have come in a couple of rings. It's worth pursuing - but in saying that I'm aware from my searching and reading on this forum, that the sub - six appears to be far more 'accepted'.
David M could throw in a line here? Olympian, Commonwealth Games champion, Australian record holder - legend in Australia that's for sure.

This could be an attempt to solve a 'psychological problem' with a 'mechanical solution'.

Instead of trying to alter ( drastically) your sights , try to understand why your eyes tend to flick back and forth to the target almost beyond your control . It is probably a result of fear of losing the sight picture at the last minute ?

I suggest you get back to your original sub six hold , and to take a 'leap of faith' ! Once you get into the aiming area just boldly ignore the target and stay focussed on the sights as you briskly squeeze off your shot and see what happens ! Probably good sight alignment will result in good shot placement .

Training yourself to do this will obviate the need to make alterations to the pistol.

Elmas

Francesco

Front sight

Post by Francesco »

The pistol comes standard with the low front sight, we have a higher one in 4.0 - 4.5 - 5.0 - 5.5 - 6.0 wide to solve your problem
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Thanks Francesco. I'll talk to my dealer where I purchased the pistol and see what he has in stock. In the meantime, I took up Fred's suggestion and a couple of tiny washers under the front sight has done the trick for now.
Thanks all.