Section for Beginners?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mjgericke

Section for Beginners?

Post by mjgericke »

Has anoyone thought of creating a thread that can be pinned at the top of the section that goes over the basics a beginner would need to know? Common questions, overview of the different categories of rifles, the various formats for competition, etc? I would think something like that would be very useful. Just a thought.

~ Matt
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It's easy enough to press 'search' or failing that people just need to ask. The problem with something as you mention is that the message would very soon become massive and unuseable (IMHO).

Rob.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

I think that is a good idea, since not everybody interested on this sport have access to a coach or reputable shooters to ask questions and/or advice.

Something like "STICKY: Beginners read here first", as on some other forum I have read.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

RobStubbs wrote: The problem with something as you mention is that the message would very soon become massive and unuseable (IMHO).

Rob.
There is no problem at all. The thread can be one post long (the beginner's info) and then locked to prevent replies. If the moderators want additional info posted, it can be unlocked to allow data entry and then locked again.

I agree this place needs sticky threads.
mjgericke

Post by mjgericke »

A thread for beginners could prove the be very valuable. Yes, one could search the numerous threads for information, but having a thread that serves as a repository for frequently asked questions and must-know facts could be beneficial in many respects.

The sticky thread with it's compilation of facts, tips and tricks could then serve as a platform for newbies to ask the more experienced members more specific questions or solicite advice on information found in the "Beginner Thread."

The thread would be locked from having replies and all submissions or revisions could be proposed to the moderator? Or perhaps a member could be given additional control by the forum moderator to maintain the thread?

~ Matt
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

ya'll make up what needs to be there, I'll make sure it gets stickied!