Wrist Weights

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
titantoppler

Wrist Weights

Post by titantoppler »

Hi,

I'm using a Steyr LP2 (what's it's weight, by the way?). I recently bought a wrist weight that's around 0.45kg, or 1lb (I think).

This is how I intend to use the wrist weight:
Attach it to my wrist when I'm not training, so that my muscles get used to the weight. When I train, I'll remove the wrist weight, so that the pistol will seem lighter.

Questions:
1) Is this the correct way to use the weight?
2) Will there be permanent muscle damage?
3) Any additional things I should look out for?

TIA :-)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I used to do this during the last 2 weeks of my annual break, just before getting back into shooting specific training. I used 1kg weights but it is really a matter of personal preference. I don't think there is actually any reduced perceived weight of the pistol because you take the weights off, more because the muscles are better toned.

One point, you would probably be better using 2 weights, one on each wrist. The weights will just tone the muscles up a bit so you might as well balance the left and right sides.
kafee

Re: Wrist Weights

Post by kafee »

titantoppler wrote:Hi,

I'm using a Steyr LP2 (what's it's weight, by the way?).
875g.

I have a Hammerli AP40 which weighs about 950g, and I find it a little on the heavy side, so I've been looking into buying a lighter weight pistol. The Hammerli junior weighs in at 825g, and the Steyr Compact at 725g.
iow

Post by iow »

The best wrist building exercise is simply to hold a full pint of bitter at arms length for as long as you can bear it ( or lager if you must ) ..... then drink it & try again ..... and again .... just don't try it before going to the range !
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

iow wrote:The best wrist building exercise is simply to hold a full pint of bitter at arms length for as long as you can bear it ( or lager if you must ) ..... then drink it & try again ..... and again .... just don't try it before going to the range !
I have found it keeps feeling lighter until I don't even feel it at all!
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

To prevent overtraining, start with a "Light" beer (or any american brand) and work your way up to Guinness.

Junior shooters are cationed to start with Pepsi and work up to Jolt or Red Bull (under the supervision of a coach of course).

Also- to improve cross-training effect, mentally focus on wrist tension as you tip the mug to your lips . . . concentrate on proper execution of behaviors with a constant rate of pour.

Any spillage is, of course, cause for aborting the pour and starting the Drink Plan over again . . .

Steve Swartz
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

. . . and of course there are technique issues involving Grip, Stance, head tiltt, torso lean, etc. . . . and the benefits of drinking glasses (with or without irisis) . . . and which mugs have faster lock times . . . and whether the British/Irish System or German System is superior . . .

Steve

(Bona Fides: captain of the 1982 Hopi Lodge Chug-A-Lug team; University of Arizona)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

American Beer, if I wanted water I'd order water ;)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

iow wrote:The best wrist building exercise is simply to hold a full pint of bitter at arms length for as long as you can bear it ( or lager if you must ) ..... then drink it & try again ..... and again .... just don't try it before going to the range !
Great thirst quencher for those with really l-o-n-g lips?
Elmas

teetotal

Post by Elmas »

The best wrist building exercise is simply to hold a full pint of bitter at arms length for as long as you can bear it ( or lager if you must ) ..... then drink it & try again ..... and again .... just don't try it before going to the range !

My gun arm muscles need toning.

My hold deteriorates as the practice session lengthens .

I am a Muslim , so for religious reasons I can only drink non-alcoholic beer ... question is ; will it work as well ?

And , does not going to the range afterwards still apply to me ?

Thanks

Elmas

greblleM

Post by greblleM »

kafee wrote:
titantoppler wrote:Hi,

I'm using a Steyr LP2 (what's it's weight, by the way?).
875g.

I have a Hammerli AP40 which weighs about 950g, and I find it a little on the heavy side, so I've been looking into buying a lighter weight pistol. The Hammerli junior weighs in at 825g, and the Steyr Compact at 725g.
Heavy?! I think my AP40 was very lightweight. I had to buy a 100g barrelweight to make it a little less "flimsy". Unfortunately it costs ~90USD... =(
Pradeep5

Post by Pradeep5 »

Muscle memory is the key, once several thousand beers have been drunk (no, not all at once!), drinking should become so natural that you can't even remember if you did drink. Just let the sub-concious take over, don't interfere. This is when you are ready for high level international competition.

Can the AMU guys get their proper training in?

Post by Guest »

greblleM wrote: Heavy?! I think my AP40 was very lightweight. I had to buy a 100g barrelweight to make it a little less "flimsy". Unfortunately it costs ~90USD... =(
I guess you're not 5 foot tall, female and over 50 then!