Any pistol loading problems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
alexisj

Post by alexisj »

Hi,

I am a disabled shooter and am looking at buying a new AP. I have heard that the Steyr LP10 and Morini 162EI are difficult to load or can be problematic. Is this true?

Any comments appreciated

Thanks,
Alexis
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Alexis,
I shoot an Anschutz LP@Junior which is mechanically a twin of the Steyr LP-10, i.e. the loading is identical. All that is required is for the thumb and forefinger of the non-shooting hand to pick up a pellet and place it in the chamber. Then a final push with that same thumb to seat the pellet flush with the end of the barrel and then close the bolt lever. That's all. The Steyr LP-2 and perhaps others offer tray loading where you place the pellet on a tray and then close the bolt which seats the pellet. This may seem easier, however, it still requires the same two digits to pick up the pellet and place it in the tray. Many shooters feel that this system makes it too easy to load two pellets if you are not paying attention. Double loading an LP-10 is nearly impossible because of the added feel you have.

Without knowing the details of your impairment, it is difficult for any of us to really give you a recommendation. That said, if you feel confident that you can safely operate any air pistol in regard to handling, aiming, firing, charging, etc., then loading should not present any additional problems for you. That's what I think, FWIW.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

The LP10 (IMHO) is a little more "fiddly" to load than the Morini 162ei.
With the LP10 you must manually load the pellet directly into the back of the barrel. Closing the breach lever then moves the air outlet forward and seals it onto the back of the barrel. It does require a higher level of dexterity.

With the 162ei, opening the lever exposes a groove (or tray). You simply drop the pellet into a groove. Closing the lever moves a bolt forward which pushes the pellet along the groove and into the back of the barrel.

If you have any dexterity issues relating to your disability (i.e. manipulating a small pellet into a 4.5mm hole with your fingers) then the Morini 162ei would be the preferable option.
I don't think the chance that you might load two pellets accidentally with the 162ei is a big issue. If you do, the pistol will push them out fine, though they won't be accurate (in five years of shooting I've only done it once - and that was on purpose to see what would happen).
Trev2205

Post by Trev2205 »

Feinwerkbau P40 (If you can get one new) and the new P44 both have the "groove" for loading also.
cdf

Post by cdf »

With the 162 , double loading isn't too likley . Putting a pellet in backwards is a more likley problem .If possible try an example of each , if there are other disabled / paralympic shooters in your club/area , get their input .

Chris
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The loading really depends on the amoutn of dexterity you have and really they require about the same.

LP10 requires you to 1. Hold a pellet 2. make sure its the right way round 3. Insert the head into the bore throught the breach opening (which is about 3cm or so) 4. Push the skirt to seat the pellet in the barrel. 5. Close the breach.

162, p44 and other bolt loading designs require you to. 1. Hold a pellet 2. make sure its the right way round 3. Insert the pellet onto a grove in the breach through the breach opening (which is about 3cm or so). 4. push the bolt forward.

Depending on the level of dexerity that you have the bolt loading system might be very slightly easier but not really by much. If one has the dexerity to pick up a pellet and hold it with the thumb and index finger, they most likely would have no problem from either system. If the can't hold a pellet and need assitance to load then it probably really doesn't matter.

Best of luck I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the guns that you listed.

Another point regarding the LP10 and its clones is the amount of adjustablity in the grip which might be handy for someone who has to shoot in an unorthodox position. The Morini 162ei (electronic trigger) has very little adjustment. I beleive the FWB P44 and the Walther have a wide range of adjustment too.
alexisj

Post by alexisj »

Hi,

Thanks for all of your advice. I have almost no use with my left hand and obviously shoot right handed. While competing I will probably use a loader. However, my issue is more when I need to train on my own. Once I have got my new pistol, I am going to get a jig made up to hold it in a position that I can A) grip the pistol properly the same every time and B) load the pistol with my right hand with which I have normal dexterity.

I guess it all comes back to getting the pistol that feels right, as little issues over loading can always be come.

Thanks again,
Alexis
cdf

Post by cdf »

Get a benchrest type sandbag to rest your pistol on while loading , your right hand will do the rest . You could pin the pistol into position with your left hand , no left hand dexterity required . You can preobably get by without a loader .

Chris
Fred

Post by Fred »

If your matches will permit it (and if you can afford it - they're not cheap), what about one of the 5-shot APs? With these, you can load a magazine with 5 pellets using only your right hand, and then insert the mag into the gun. No assistance would be required either in a match or practise. Look at the Steyr LP50 on our host's site for one of the best of this type.

HTH,
FredB
cdf

Post by cdf »

Good Idea Fred ! Problem - not sure ya can cock the LP50 one handed . I'll grt my sandbag and see if it's doable with minimal help from the left hand .

Chris
cdf

Post by cdf »

Sad to report , cocking and loading the LP 50 with only the right hand and a sandbag not too easy . Would only work if the left hand is strong enuff to pin the piece to the sandbag . YMMV .

Chris
Fred

Post by Fred »

Chris,

I completely forgot about cocking it, and it's certainly not the easiest thing to do. However, in theory you only have to do it once per shooting session, and there must be some workaround possible. Maybe bracing the butt against your body and pulling back with the right hand. Or, IIRC, the FWB 5 shot gun was much easier to cock, so that might be a better choice.

FredB