Front Sight - Rear Sight - Optimum Width

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shadow

Front Sight - Rear Sight - Optimum Width

Post by shadow »

This question pertains to Free Pistol. My Toz came with a variety of front and rear sights. Is there a consensus on what is the best sight combination? Is a wide front sight a good choice. Does it make you more willing to accept the shot - that you are not searching for the "perfect" spot? If I use the largest front sight it seems that there is not a wide enough rear sight? Have any of you found the same thing? Have you machined the rear sight to a wider configuration? My eyes seem to prefer quite a bit of light on each side of the front sight blade.

Thanks to all who respond.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

the older the eyes, the wider the rear sight notch

Spencer
David M

Sight Picture

Post by David M »

Assuming you are using shooting glasses with a small positive defocus (approx 0.5 diopter), so that the Foresight is sharp and clear with the target very slightly blurred.
Start with a foresight that appears to be the same width, as the width of the black at 50m (in your normal shooting position).
Then depending on the light brightness and angle, try and use a rearsight that appears to be twice as wide as the foresight and the same depth if possible.
So you shoud see 25% light, 50% foresight, 25% light and the foresight appears nearly square and the same width as the target.
If you use a narrow forsight you will string a vertical group, and if too wide, you will tend to get the height right but shoot left - right (Same happens with too much light gap).
This is a starting point, alter to suit light, pistol, colour, age etc.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

This is predominantly a personal preference thing combined with how bright the target is. I prefer the foresight to be the same size as the black and the rearsight to be at least twice that width. The only thing I would advise is not to go for very narrow white notches either side of the foresight as that can cause over critical aiming. Apart from that, try different settings and see how it feels.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Seeings as you have them, why not just go out and try them and see what works best for you.
shadow

Width

Post by shadow »

I REALLY like the wide front sight as it seems about the width of the 50m target. However, the rear sight does not seems wide enough. Has anyone else run into this with the TOZ? I am considering having a 'smith widen a rear sight notch.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Choose the front sight width that suits you then alter the rear sight notch so that you can easily hold the sight alignment without the white disappearing on either side.

In very broad terms, the fitter you are, the more steady you will be and the narrower the notch can be.
shadow

Sight Width

Post by shadow »

At times I lose the space on the left side of the sight. I noticed that the Rink grips offer an offset option and mention that this is a good choice for shooters with small hands (me). Is there anything else that can cause this.
Fred Mannis

Re: Width

Post by Fred Mannis »

shadow wrote:I REALLY like the wide front sight as it seems about the width of the 50m target. However, the rear sight does not seems wide enough. Has anyone else run into this with the TOZ? I am considering having a 'smith widen a rear sight notch.
Susan,
I widened the rear sight notch on my Toz. Having decided that I was never going to use the U shaped notch that was in the parts kit, I decided to use it. It's really easy to do and you should learn how to do it yourself since you should be opening it a small amount, shooting a bit, then opening it a bit, until you feel comfortable with it. Faster and less expensive than going to a 'smith. All you need is a small vise to hold the blade, some jewelers files, a loupe/magnifier, and patience. My Toz has a 0.137" front sight and I widened the rear nothch to 0.145" (it was originally 0.130"). The view is about 1:1:1, that is 33% white-33%front sight-33% white.
If you make it to the match at Citizens R&P next month, I can bring some files and talk you through it.

Fred
Fred Mannis

Re: Sight Width

Post by Fred Mannis »

shadow wrote:At times I lose the space on the left side of the sight. I noticed that the Rink grips offer an offset option and mention that this is a good choice for shooters with small hands (me). Is there anything else that can cause this.
This is a different issue than the width of the rear sight notch. If you find that the front sight is consistently to the left when you bring up the gun, then you need to alter the grips and/or the manner in which you grip the pistol so as to rotate the pistol clockwsie in your hand (as viewed from above).
You might want to take a look at Don Nygord's notes on pistol grip modifications http://www.nygord-precision.com/ An easy way to temporarily add material to the back of the grip (the Rink offset option) is to use PlayDough or similar putty. It comes off easily with no harm to the grip.