Red Dot Size Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rolexrifleman

Red Dot Size Question

Post by rolexrifleman »

Is a 7moa dot to big to shoot Bullseye with?

I have 2 Dr. Optics red dots. One is a 3.5 MOA and the other is a 7MOA.
I also have 2 Benelli pistols one in .22 and the other in .32.
The .22 currently has a Leupold LG1 with the 2MOA dot. I want to replace the Leupold with the Dr because I want two identical guns with the identical optics set up. Is the 7MOA dot to large? Also if it is not to large should I mount it on the .32 or the .22?

Thanks in advance
KFinke

Post by KFinke »

No from the rules standpoint. You can shoot any size you want.

It's really a question of what you prefer, and you might have to try them both for a while to see what you like.

Personally I like a big dot. I bought the Ultradot Match Dot which is available with 2, 4, 6 and 8 moa size dots. I bought it mostly because I wasn't sure what I would like. Turns out it depends on the lighting and if I'm shooting Gallery indoor or Conventional outdoor.

For Indoor shooting, I usually use the 4 or 6 moa dot. And for Conventional outdoor, I go with the 6 or 8 moa size dot. With the 8 moa dot, if I'm in the black on timed and rapid and pull the trigger correctly it's always a 10 or better. That makes the aiming easy.

So, you might like the 7 moa for the same reasons I do. Then again, you might want a smaller dot. But until you try it and see what works the best for you, it's a tough question to answer.

-Kevin
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

My experience is similar to Kevin's. I found that my scores went up when I went from a small (2moa) to a larger (6moa) dot. Especially the timed and rapid fire stages. Next season I will try a new scope with four dot sizes, the largest being 8moa. The four dot Ultradot is big and heavy compared to the Dokter (sp?) sight, but you might buy one and use it for a while to determine which of the sizes you prefer, then mounting the appropriate Dr. sight.
Fred
joe1347

Re: Red Dot Size Question

Post by joe1347 »

rolexrifleman wrote:Is a 7moa dot to big to shoot Bullseye with?

I have 2 Dr. Optics red dots. One is a 3.5 MOA and the other is a 7MOA.
I also have 2 Benelli pistols one in .22 and the other in .32.
The .22 currently has a Leupold LG1 with the 2MOA dot. I want to replace the Leupold with the Dr because I want two identical guns with the identical optics set up. Is the 7MOA dot to large? Also if it is not to large should I mount it on the .32 or the .22?

Thanks in advance

Out of curiosity - how well does the red-dot fit on the Benelli 22? I'm assuming that it's an MP95E or MP90S. Or better yet - how about posting a photo?
shadow

Dockter

Post by shadow »

If you need to make a sight adjustment fron the long line to the short line the Dokter is not the best choice.