WHY IS IT SO HARD TO PULL THE TRIGGER?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
yak54pilot

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO PULL THE TRIGGER?

Post by yak54pilot »

Hello,

My name is Jose and I am new to FP and AP. I also shoot NRA Bullseye and PPC.

My question and what I need advise is.

Why is it that I have such a hard time breaking the shot on command.
I mean I have a great sight picture but just can't seem to be able to pull the trigger in time.

Sometimes it takes so long the sights get out of focus and I have to come down.
Other times it feels like the trigger weights 100lbs and I can't pull it.

I usually have a good hold and aim point but can't make my finger pull the trigger for the few seconds that the gun is in the aming area and I have good sight picture.

p.s. I have tried to start my trigger pull after first getting in the aming area and trying to hold it there until it goes off but I usually end up throwing shots everywhere like this.

Thanks

Jose

Post by Guest »

have someone check to see if your gripping properly. sometimes your trigger finger is tensed without you noticing and cause it to be near impossible to pull.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would suggest you need to re-learn how to pull the trigger (from a mental perspective). How much dry firing do you do ? I suggest you train the trigger feel before moving on to dry firing against a blank (white) surface. Then move onto live shooting. The back of a card is a good place to start before switching to shooting them properly. This will take weeks or months to perfect but is very worthwhile. It's also essential to keep dry firing in you training routine as it's an invaluable tool.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

If I remember the teachings of russian coach Poddubniy correctly, some possible causes are:

1. Fear of bad shot - too much attention is given to sight alignment and too little to the trigger pull. According to Poddubniy school of thought, the proper trigger pull with constant wrist locking is more critical than perfect sight picture, and the conscious attention should be on the trigger pull and let the subconscious handle the sight picture.

2. If you apply most of the pressure to the trigger long before the shot break and it takes you a while to aim, the trigger finger becomes "locked" (that was the problem in my case). In that case start applying pressure to the second stage only after you're on target and within a second or two from the shot.
yak54pilot

Post by yak54pilot »

Anonymous wrote:have someone check to see if your gripping properly. sometimes your trigger finger is tensed without you noticing and cause it to be near impossible to pull.

It feels as if my trigger finger is cramped and I try to loosen up the grip but then the gun moves around as I fire and if I grip it hard it gets near imposible to soot.

I shoot PPC guns just fine and they have a 31/2 pound plus pull. I also shoot revolvers good and they range 6-8 lbs pull. I grip both of this guns very hard to maintain stability.

Should I be gripping soft or hard the FP and the AP. I would rather have a 4 lbs pull on them but since the pull is so light what do you suggest...
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Jose,
The grip on a FP or AP is very different than the grip for a 45 where you have a 3-4lb trigger as well as recoil to deal with. The orthopedic grips on these guns, the light (50-500 gm) triggers, and lack of recoil mean that a light grip is needed. Sufficient to keep the gun from moving in your and such that you can manipulate the trigger without causing the sights to change alignment. The position of the trigger should be adjusted so that the first pad on the finger sits comfortably on the trigger and is at right angles to the trigger blade. To quote Don Nygord "So, start out gripping the Free Pistol with about the same pressure you would exert during a handshake with a young girl - not a "limp fish", but not so hard as to cause any discomfort!"

Hope this helps,
Fred
yak54pilot

Post by yak54pilot »

Sound good,

I just gripped the gun like you said, like if I was shaking the hand of my daughter and it feels better. i also moved the trigger a little to the side to compensate and put it right under my first pad.
Let seee how I do on the range tomorow!

I guess it is mostly a mind game I have to play with myself.
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

In my opinion this inability to get the shot off is the worst problem the average pistol shooter (like me) faces, once he's mastered the absolute basics. Holding the shot too long when in this trouble nearly always seems to result in a high right shot (for a right-handed shooter), as the rest of the hand begins to grasp the pistol to sort of "help out" the frozen trigger finger.

The problem is psychological, and there are two things I try to do to deal with it. First, I try to put the gun down when it happens in a SF event. This is not as easy as it seems, since you want that shot to go to relieve the stress of not getting the shot off, if you follow me. Sometimes when I put the gun down I wiggle my trigger finger.

Second, I try to use visualizations: My favorite FP visualization is what I call "the brain surgeon." I imagine that I'm called in to do brain surgery and only I can move my finger delicately enough to do the job. I move my finger very, very delicately, and a good shot results. (I should say that when I'm shooting well, no such visualization is required; the shot breaks unconsciously--but I'm talking when I've got trouble).

There are other visualizations I use as well, different ones depending on the kind of shooting I'm doing. I think these are often no more than a way of letting my subconscious take over, or of concentrating.

Good luck with this; I've often thought there was a living to be made in psychotherapy for pistol shooters.

Bill A