Prone-fitness

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

usaf_22

Prone-fitness

Post by usaf_22 »

Is it true that you have to be in shape to shoot well in prone? If so, how good of shape?
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

I don't think so because I have seen some vary big guys shoot prone and they put up some big scores. That said it is a good idea to exercise.

--Brian--
RobStubbs

Re: Prone-fitness

Post by RobStubbs »

usaf_22 wrote:Is it true that you have to be in shape to shoot well in prone? If so, how good of shape?
Yes, you will not acheive your full potential if you are unfit. You want a good cardiovascular system as well as a good muscular development - not in the same waythat weight lifters do though, that would possibly do you more harm than good. Have look at some of the rifle shooting books or speak with a good coach.

Rob.
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

My son is a college distance runner as well as a shooter (Air Rifle, Smallbore, High Power). His resting heart rate is around 30 in the prone position. He has 2 seconds of quiet pulse to steady and take a shot. That is an eternity. Conditioning is very important rifle shooting for overall muscle tone, proper blood oxygenation and flexability to maintain a solid position. How out of breath do you get trying to shoot a 60 round Air Rifle event all offhand?

mike
metermatch

Fitness in prone

Post by metermatch »

I think I can answer this from practical experience! In the 1980's, I was a master level prone shooter, set a few national records. I was in my 20's and average shape for my age. I just started shooting again, in my 40's, and I am about 50 pounds overweight, and very out of shape. My lack of aerobic capacity is very obvious, as I can only shoot about 10 shots before feeling winded. Prone position can hinder your lungs expanding and working effectively, and also lack of aerobic fitness and overall fitness will also work against you.

However, I suspect there is a limit as to what is necessary. A good level of overall fitness is necessary, but the majority opinion is that you can go too far, especially if you lift heavy weights. Just look at the average condition of the top level world class shooters as a guide.

If you are college age shooter that is in good enough shape for track and field, you are probably good enough. If you have additional training time, at this point it would probably be more productive dry firing and using an electronic trainer.

Jeff
joydeepk

restlessness!

Post by joydeepk »

Recently i am experiencing some restlessness in prone shooting. though i try to cool myself before training, but some thing occurs to bring in the stiffness in neck or heavyness in the chest. please note -i am in my late 20 ,medium built and used to smoking (5 a day). i often doubt this habit to be a cause, but ironically ive seen a few very good shooters smoke heavily. its confusing...............jk
joydeepk

restlessness!

Post by joydeepk »

Recently i am experiencing some restlessness in prone shooting. though i try to cool myself before training, but some thing occurs to bring in the stiffness in neck or heavyness in the chest. please note -i am in my late 20 ,medium built and used to smoking (5 a day). i often doubt this habit to be a cause, but ironically ive seen a few very good shooters smoke heavily. its confusing...............jk
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

JK,
Smoking and shooting do not go together very well. Directly related to shooting your lung function and capacity will be reduced compared to a non smoker and you will have more carbon monoxide in your blood. All that reduces the oxygen carrying ability and hence you will suffer from getting out of breath sooner and your eyesight will also drop off quicker whilst holding your breath.

Rob.
joydeepk

Post by joydeepk »

Thanks.
everybody who smokes knows about the perilous effects, but every one yet indulges in it. another thing i wanted to know - whats the ave. heart rate for a good shooting athlete? someinstances could be an eye opener for all. cheers....jk