Full auto GSP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tjtucker

Full auto GSP

Post by tjtucker »

I just got a Walter GSP. The gun is slam firing. I need some help. Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks TJ
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Just a thought but does it happen with different ammunitions ? It's just that I remember someone mentioning that happended to them with just one specific ammo. They switched and it never happened again.

Rob.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

clean it. check the firing pin in the bolt. it may be broken or have a broken return spring (most common casue) there is a new updated firing pin available from earls repair service (usa walther distributor)

while it is also possible for the hammer to follow through and cause a slam fire, the more common cause is the firing pin being stuck in a forward position by dirt or broken.

to check for hammer follow through, unload the pistol. cock the bolt back and hit the bottom of the grip with the palm of your hand several times as hard as possible. dry fire the pistol after several hits. if it goes click then there was no hamer follow through.

now cock the pistol and allow the bolt to slide forward as hard as possible several times. dry fire it, if it goes click the hammer did not follwo through.

if you are suffering from hammer follow through, you need to check the sear engagment for proper adjustment. there is a page on the pilk guns site in the 10 files on how to adjust it. if do not feel confident enough to do it, send it off to a pistol smith (our host is very good from what i understand) and have it adjusted properly. if adjustment of the sear engament does not resolve hammer follow then replace the trigger unit as an assembly.

fyi, my money is still on a broken or stuck firing pin or spring.

good luck.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

bubba_zenetti wrote:while it is also possible for the hammer to follow through and cause a slam fire, the more common cause is the firing pin being stuck in a forward position by dirt or broken.
A major cause of a stuck firing pin, or at least it was 20+ years ago when I had a GSP, was that the back of the firing pin got peened over by the hammer. This caused the firing pin to stick in its groove but was simply remedied by cleaning up the hit edges at the back of the firing pin with a small file.

Another, less likely, cause of slam firing with pistols of that era (with the plate sided trigger unit) was the sear engagement screw. This was the one at the back at the top. Although it was usually sealed with red paint the manual gave instructions on how to re-set it. These included cocking the hammer and then screwing the screw in until the hammer fell. The manual then advised screwing the screw out by a quarter turn. It was very rare to find a pistol where a quarter turn was enough, a third of a turn was usually a better option.