Anyone have any information on a Walther KKM target rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TargetTerror

Anyone have any information on a Walther KKM target rifle?

Post by TargetTerror »

I am still in my quest for a high quality, inexpensive, used target rifle that will make me at least somewhat competitive with the other guys in my club shoots. (they have full blown Anschutz and Feinwerkbau free rifles, which are out of the cards for me, at least for now). I've looked at the CM-2, and am very close to buying one. But, I recently noticed that there are a number of Walther KKMs on the market. I did some internet research, and found precious little information on the KKMs. It looks like they came as a standard model, with a standard, non-adjustable stock, and also in a "super" version will a fully adjustable thumbhole stock and weight bar under the barrel. No information on date ranges, but it looks like they were being made at least in the 1970s.

I would be looking at the standard models, as I haven't seen any fancy models around, so my question is, how are these rifles? My club shoots prone and offhand (though I may do other shoots where we do kneeling). Do they all come with accessory rails, and do I need special handstops, etc or will the standard Anschutz accessories fit?

How is the trigger and the action? Is the trigger adjustable? How does it feel?

How are the sights? Are there different types/models of sights that were issued? (i'm only interested in peep sights) Will they take standard Walther or other peep and iris sights?

How is the balance and weight of the stock? It is not adjustable, but does it point well in its current configuration? Also, what are my options, if any for buying a new stock for the action. Could I, for example, drop the KKM action into one of the snazzy new aluminum stocks? Are there aftermarket people that make a custom stock for the KKMs? If not, can the current wood stock be modified to have an adjustable butt plate and hook, and possibly and adjustable cheek piece?

Lastly, how do the KKMs compare, in all aspects, as a whole, to Anschutz' offerings and the new CM-2 rifles?

Any help at all is GREATLY appreciated!!

Post by Guest »

I have a KKM dated 1983. It is the thumbhole stock version that I think was called the GX-1 in the US. I am very happy with it's performance.

I have also shot various different "standard" versions that you mention and have shot very well with these as well. Personally I would have a 30 year old KKM over a new or near new CM-2, but that's just my personal choice, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with a CM-2.
Jim E

Post by Jim E »

Our Host - Scott Pilkington - picked up one of the most beautiful Walther's early KKM's on Planet Earth while on the tour in Germany a few weeks ago. Anschutz was were holding it Scott just to see his face while the rifle came out of the case --- mouth open is a good description for Scott's reaction.

This rifle is beyond belief and will do nothing but shot 10's while increasing in value over time.

Contact Scott ASAP as things like thing do not come along but once in a lifetime.
WRC

Post by WRC »

I have a KKM that comes from 1966. The only time I've ever cleaned a 100 yard prone course was with it. The action is very smooth.
These old rifles are quite capable provided they haven't been abused. They are as heavy (& accurate) as anything on the market today. Two downsides: the old Walthers do not have an "Anschutz standard" rail, rather they use a Walther dovetail - which means only Walther specific accessories will fit. #2: the older stocks have fewer adjustments (esp checkpiece), and will need some modifications of the butthook to stay legal.
That said, if you find one at a good price, don't overlook it!
acanou1

Handstop for KKM

Post by acanou1 »

I just bought a KKM..it was made in 1973. Anyway, I need to purchase a handstop and a sling swivel and I was wondering if the new Walther stuff will fit (that goes for the hook butt plate as well). I'm also looking for information on the trigger assembly. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
diopter

Post by diopter »

Click on thumbnail pictures to view album.

For triggers, the Hammerli rifle drawings in this link were actually made by Walther.
carpfisher

Post by carpfisher »

Check Thad Scott rifles. They always seem to have a few of various grades. I have been looking for a factory butt hook for mine since I got it a year ago. Good Luck!