FWB102 maintainance

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
nematode

FWB102 maintainance

Post by nematode »

I've recently acquired an FWB102 and moments ago, I read Randy Bimrose's advice concerning the care of these guns in the Target Talk archives. He said not to use petroleum oils anywhere on the gun. The gun I bought didn't come with an owner's manual and so, I didn't know about the oil warning. All I've done to the gun so far, maintainance wise, is to dab around in the opened breech area with a lightly oiled cotton patch (using Beeman MP5 oil). I didn't oil the inside of the barrel, though.
Question: How would I know if that oil got into the compression chamber? Does the gun diesel like spring guns sometimes do?

Thank you for your advice.
Bob
Fred

Post by Fred »

Bob,

SSP guns will not diesel like spring-piston guns. However, you should not use petroleum-based oils anywhere on an SSP because those oils can damage the seals and o-rings. You probably should try to clean off whatever petroleum-based oils you have applied to minimize the potential damage. By the way, why would the idea of oiling the inside of the barrel even occur to you? This is never necessary on a 10M airgun.

HTH,
FredB
Fred Mannis

MP5 Oil

Post by Fred Mannis »

Can be used in bores. From the Beeman we site: It is harmless to steel, non-ferrous metals, wood, airgun seals, and leather. Apply it to external parts, joints, and bores. (Do not use in compression or spring chambers!)

I have used it on the bores of SSP and CA guns that would not be shot for some time, as well as on external surfaces. I have inadvertantly wiped o-rings with no observable deterioration.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

SSP guns will most definately diesel, more damaging than springers like 300S

oil in barrel is a good thing if you have cleaned the barrel and don't plan on shooting for awhile otherwise the wax from the pellets is a good enough rust barrier
Fred

Post by Fred »

Scott,

Would you please explain how, and at what point in the charging/firing cycle, an SSP gun could diesel?

Thanks,
FredB
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Dieseling by it's very definition, can only occur at one point, i.e., the point of compression great enough to cause the flammable objects to self ignite. Here is a piston face from a FWB SSP that we took apart yesterday, that show some serious "cratering" from dieseling. With normal usage, the entire face will stay blue just like you can see on the bottom of the piston.
Attachments
dieseling.jpg
dieseling.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the picture. I assume this happens at the final moment of the compression charging stroke? When this occurs, is there a burning smell, like there is when a spring-piston gun diesels? In other words, is there any clear indication that this is happening?

FredB
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Fred wrote:Thanks for the picture. I assume this happens at the final moment of the compression charging stroke? When this occurs, is there a burning smell, like there is when a spring-piston gun diesels? In other words, is there any clear indication that this is happening?

FredB
Actually it can happen anywhere in the compression stroke and it is a small explosion, like a diesel engine, hence the term dieseling. I'm sure you'd know it happened.
luftgewehr

Feinwerkbau

Post by luftgewehr »

You mentioned you did not get an owners manual with your pistol. That would answer some of your questions regarding care.

You can write to Feinwerkbau at info@feinwerkbau.de for this. Describe the gun, serial number, etc and they will tell you when it was built and air mail you an owners manual for free.

I purchased a FWB-103 at Roanoke and have already received an owners manual and an exploded parts diagram in the mail from Feinwerkbau after writing to the above email address last week. (Serial number on my 103 was under the grip on the left side.)

Good luck