Beginning in Air Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Re: Inexpensive starter air pistol

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:
David Levene wrote: Over the years I have seen many Gamo Compacts being used at club level and by youth organisations at national level here in the UK.

IMHO the trigger alone is responsible for losing the sport too many young participants. It is truly terrible.
please explain.
It is quite common for scout groups to buy quantity rather than quality. I can understand their reasoning, they want to have as many people shooting at the same time as possible.

Unfortunately, if you try to teach youngsters a good technique but then give them tools that do not allow them to use that technique they will quickly get disenchanted and decide that it isn't the sport for them.

I know that organisations cannot normally afford to kit themselves out with high end guns but good used older technology guns would be a much better option.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

David Levene wrote:
JulianY wrote:
David Levene wrote: Over the years I have seen many Gamo Compacts being used at club level and by youth organisations at national level here in the UK.

IMHO the trigger alone is responsible for losing the sport too many young participants. It is truly terrible.
please explain.
It is quite common for scout groups to buy quantity rather than quality. I can understand their reasoning, they want to have as many people shooting at the same time as possible.

Unfortunately, if you try to teach youngsters a good technique but then give them tools that do not allow them to use that technique they will quickly get disenchanted and decide that it isn't the sport for them.

I know that organisations cannot normally afford to kit themselves out with high end guns but good used older technology guns would be a much better option.
What was your problem with the Trigger ?

I do think the the IZH will home better secong vaule in the US and the Gamo better in the UK. - A matter of what is popular
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:What was your problem with the Trigger ?
Heavy, creepy and inconsistent (to different degrees on each gun).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

A lot of our pony club shooters favoured the gamo but I have yet to find one that feels half decent. The triggers are generally awful and way too heavy and clunky. The youngsters can't develope good techniques when the triggers are that poor. Much better to get something decent 2nd hand.

Rob.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Kristin, you had asked about muzzle weight/balance... The IZH is known as being muzzle-heavy, as is the 717. Difference is that the IZH's grip helps you support it much better. I had a 717 and when I tried the IZH it at least "felt" noticeably less muzzle-heavy. The palm shelf at the bottom of the grip does it's job well. The greater raked angle of the grip makes it sit better in your hand, too. The Daisy is more upright with no palm shelf. Can get tiring quickly for your wrist. Suffice to say, if you get used to the 717, the IZH will be easier.

While I'm going... I recently picked up a Gamo Compact. After a 1 year layoff from the 717, first target I shot tighter groups with it. My take on it:
- Grips, very nice and supportive, but big as-is. I have a Lg - Xl size hand
and they fit just right. May need some work for smaller hands.
- Trigger, as mentioned, nothing to write home about. Lighter than the
717's, but not a great feel (compared to the IZH and high-end guns).
- Balance, more rearward. And it's a light gun - 1.94lb, I think?

I got a great deal on a leftover. But if you'll be paying $200+ for one, I'd go with the IZH. More for your money. Real easy to resell, too....

Best of luck!
bereznov

my two cents

Post by bereznov »

I am now on my 4th air pistol in the past one year. My advise: buy the best you can afford now and not latter. Find a high quality used pistol with a great trigger. Look in the airgun sales sites and on gunbroker, auction arms and on Gunsamerica. Stick with, FWB, Anschuetz, Steyr, etc. Don't waste your time and money on anything other than the best trigger system you can afford. Anything less, and you will be forming bad habits that will be difficult to break.
Kristin

My very own IZH

Post by Kristin »

Well,

I've just ordered an IZH. A friend was able to get me one at club price because he is ordering some for the junior program at our gun club. I know that I can use it for a long time and get all of my fundamentals down.
I am very excited to be getting a gun for Christmas! Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll let you know how it goes.

Kristin