How tight should a shooting jacket be?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TargetTerror

How tight should a shooting jacket be?

Post by TargetTerror »

I just ordered a new shooting jacket. I take a 38 suit jacket, and I ordered a 38 shooting jacket. I was sent a size 36, but it actually feels pretty good. I wore a long sleeve t shirt under it (and would probably not want to wear much more as my club is fairly warm, despite the benefits of a sweatshirt or two).

How does one assess the correct fit of a shooting jacket?
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Will you be shooting in matches sactioned by USA Shooting or by the NRA?

The answer to my question will drive the answer to yours.
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

I believe my local club hosts NRA style matches. What is the difference, and why does it matter?
Al Dart

Post by Al Dart »

NRA has little or no requirment on the construction and fit of the jacket. You can still use strap or zipper closures if desired. International shooting (ISSF/USAS) rules have strict rules on the construction of the jacket and the fit. "The jacket must hang loosley on the competitor".
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

Some of the more experienced shooters at my club today helped me in placing the buttons on my coat. They pulled the front over itself quite tight - not so tight that I couldn't breathe, but a couple of clicks below. If this is the ideal fit, than I definitely got the right size. I'm rather slim, shall we say, and as the coat is now I am almost maxed out in button placement. the 38 would have been swimming on me.

Our club is run very loosely, so I can basically wear whatever I like and no one will complain. But, were I to ever move onto something more official, or do any postal matches that are more specific in their rules, I would like my equipment to be compatible. So, is the fit I was setup with today as described above compatible with both NRA and USA shooting rules and regs? If not, what about it is in violation for either?

thanks!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You need to check the rules of any bodies you want to shoot under. As mentioned ISSF will probably be the strictest but unless you're going to attend ISSF sanctioned events and go through the full process of equipment control then that's not relevant to you. I would suggest you either look for the rules on their websites or buy a copy of them.

Rob.
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

Your jacket should be fairly tight, I wear one size down from a normal jacket same as you.

You should be comfotable but definately not sliding around inside it
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Go to the ISSF website and download the technical rifle rules. They will tell in you gory detail how your jacket should fit and be adjusted in order to participate in their matches.

A jacket that is constructed and fitted according to ISSF rules is acceptable in NRA smallbore and centerfire rifle matches but the reverse is not true.