Sights

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Post by Guest »

those control cards seem very good on paper. ive been tempted to try them but cant get hold of it.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Anonymous wrote:those control cards seem very good on paper. ive been tempted to try them but cant get hold of it.
well now you have one :)

I must admit i wish i could shoot them in competition, i would not need the missing rings. :) BTW Mike S-J The incompleat rings seem the prevent the bulll for achieving it full pellet-displacing force, same type of concept as broken lay lines ;)

I should have said there is a drill that can be used with thes cards;

shoot one normal card reversed 10 rounds.
shoot one normal card 10 rounds.
shoot several contold cards untill you can hold the black. Give it a maximum of 7 cards 10 rounds each. Dont get to tired or disapointed.
shoot one normal card 10 rounds.

Almost always the second normal card has a severly shrunk group.

I think the hardest thing is disapline. I also think the less good quality practace is better that more lower quality practace. - read muscle memory. starting with a small amount of good regular practace and a scedule to build it over a few weeks almost always produces better results.

just my $0.02

J
Last edited by JulianY on Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAmlie

Control targets

Post by TomAmlie »

I make a "poor man's control target" by putting a strip or two of black electrical tape on the back of a used (or new, if I'm feeling wealthy) AP target either vertically, horizontally, or in an inverted "T" shape. It works, it's cheap, it's quick, and it's a way to get a second use out of something before final recycling/disposal.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Steve Swartz wrote: YMMV

Steve Swartz
Steve could I quite you text in an article I am writing for my web/blog site. full credits of cause - asuming you want them :)

Frankly you express a great deel that i have seen but do it in a down to earth manner.

send me a PM with your email if yopu wan to take this off line.

best wishes

Julian

PS way does YMMV mean ?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Thanks!

Your
Mileage
May
Vary

(from automobile commercials in north america in the 1980s when fuel efficiency was very important)
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

I have some questions regarding the control target, which
I’ve tried and like. What is the purpose? What do we learn
from using it?
I’ve read Julian’s ‘drill’ – although not sure about the purpose
of shooting the reverse card (which is therefore a blank target?)
I found it easier to align my gun through the centre because
the black line starts from the top. I suppose that’s the
reason for that? It’s nine ring wide and that no doubt is
because we should be scoring 10’s – but holding the nine
ring would be quite acceptable.
It’s set up for a sub six hold judging from the target picture
stopping at the 7 ring.
So there’s my observations, but would greatly appreciate
some knowledge of the purpose of this ‘control target’.
How often should one use it? How many shots per target?
When I move onto the ‘real target’ – what should I
expect to see improvement on?
Thanks.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

John Ariani wrote:I have some questions regarding the control target, which I’ve tried and like. What is the purpose? What do we learn
from using it?
The main purpose is to generate muscle and mental memory. By removing the distraction of the traditional shaped black we can concentrate on the basics.
John Ariani wrote: I’ve read Julian’s ‘drill’ – although not sure about the purpose
of shooting the reverse card (which is therefore a blank target?) I found it easier to align my gun through the centre because
the black line starts from the top. I suppose that’s the
reason for that?
That's fine. the point of shooting at the the reverse target is to shoot a blank piece of paper. The idea is not to turn it over and see where you got. Again the the main point of shooting a blank target similar to the control target. Remove the concentration on the bull, concentrate on technique and you will find your technique is better and your groups shrink.
John Ariani wrote: It’s nine ring wide and that no doubt is
because we should be scoring 10’s – but holding the nine
ring would be quite acceptable.
Dont know why Eldemaan picked that width but I suspeci it a compromise between being something you can see and too wide.
John Ariani wrote:It’s set up for a sub six hold judging from the target picture stopping at the 7 ring.
Not quite. the bottom of the black is set to line up with the with the botom of the 7 ring which is the las black rin on a 10m target. so sub six judgement is not the issue hear.
John Ariani wrote:So there’s my observations, but would greatly appreciate some knowledge of the purpose of this ‘control target’.
How often should one use it?
At the moment I try and shoot about 5 or 6 daily
John Ariani wrote:How many shots per target?
10?
John Ariani wrote:When I move onto the ‘real target’ – what should I
expect to see improvement on?
Thanks.
Tha would depend on how much work you neeed / want/ etc. Personaly I alway shoot one round target befor the control series and one after. the one after always has a smaller group which is the point and builds my confidence.

Hope this is of some help

Julian