Breaking down IZH35M mags

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
nthe10ring

Breaking down IZH35M mags

Post by nthe10ring »

I need to take my mags down for cleaning and lubrication. Do you take the pin out of the bottom and pull the base or do you pull the button when in position in the hole in the bottom of the slide. If so is it theaded or just pushed in. I know this is kinda basic but these mags are hard to find and the last thing i want to do is mess one up.

nthe10ring
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

You are correct the pin must be drifted out on a bench block. Then all you do is the remove ( just pry it off with fingers) the base and the whole nine yards comes out---except for the follower---I have never tried to remove the pin of the follower ( not necessary IMHO for cleaning). Reassemble in reverse, just be careful with the spring---I usually bottom the slide on the bench block and stuff the spring back in, add the base, insert pin et Voila.
James Hurr

Izh 35 mags

Post by James Hurr »

Except when I did it the base plug pin was very hard to remove, I used a drill press to push the pin so had plenty of leverage but even so...

Once the pin was removed the base plugs would still not come out.
I was not inclined to force them. It looked as if the mag has been punched into them around the pin hole. Possibly the mags were bevel punched to hold the pins in, this has locked the bases into the mags also.

The follower pin comes out very easily, just push the follower down to the point where the pin lines up with the bottom of the slot and it slides out. Not much use if you can't get the base plug out however.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Jim that's interesting to know about the follower---I never needed to remove it---perhaps a gentle persuasion with a leather mallet and a wood dowel may help extract the base. I admit they don't some out easy but it's not that much of a chore---and I have pianist's fingers not hams.
Mike Taylor

Removing base plug of IZH35 magazine

Post by Mike Taylor »

I recall reading earlier (couldn't find it in a brief search, though) that the holes for the retaining pin often have burrs on the inside surface of the magazine. (Presumably, at the factory, the mags are pinned after the plug has been inserted.) Consequently, the base plug has to be pried out of the magazine. The burrs will chew up a portion of the plastic plug until it is far enough out of the mag that the burrs no longer contact the plug. The damage to the plug is minor and can not be seen when the plug is put back in. Before reinserting the plug, use a file to remove the burrs around the hole . After the burrs are removed, the plug will come out easily on the next disassembly.