Try Before Buy Program?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
joe4702

Try Before Buy Program?

Post by joe4702 »

I see many threads concerning which high-end AP one should buy, and the standard answer is to find the one that “fits, feels and works best” for that particular individual. Yet, many live too far from Scott, Larry or an active AP community where various guns could be viewed, handled and perhaps test fired.

It would be quite nice if the major manufacturers (Steyr, Morini, Pardini, Benelli, etc.) provided a few demo guns to Scott Pilkington and Larry Carter. These would be for the sole purpose of sending to a prospective customer for a few days or week-long trial period.

But perhaps this is not financially or logistically feasible for these small AP manufacturers and retailers.

Contemplating spending $1000-$1500 on a precision AP sight unseen is a bit unnerving.

$0.02
Chicken-Farmer

I beleive a program like that existed at one time!

Post by Chicken-Farmer »

I recall reading a post from Pilkington himself where he talked about such a program, but i believe he was burned from a prospective buyer. The particular buyer flamed Scott and said that he was selling used pistols as new pistols. The post was from a couple of years ago. Don't know if that situation changed the way Scott does business.
I live up in a remote island in Alaska and would be very interested in a program such as this. I have contacted Scott in the past with my situation, because many people that i'm stationed with are interested in purchasing precision airguns for practice during the long winter months. Its hard spending sometimes upwords of $2000 for anything without being able to handle it and verify the quality.

Jeff
joe4702

Post by joe4702 »

I'm not familiar with that incident. However, I would not want to purchase a gun that had been passed around and demoed by several people, which is why the manufacturers would need to be involved and provide guns strictly to be used as demos. If, for example, you demoed an LP10 and decided to buy it, you'd send the demo gun back and purchase a brand new one. The original gun would continue to be used as a demo. Since new AP models or major updates to existing models are infrequent, a demo gun could be viable for many years.

PS
Certain motorcycle makers have such a program, providing bikes to dealers that are designated solely for test rides. These are never sold as new.
iow

Post by iow »

Just a thought ...... It would be a perfect "air pistol world" if major companies had similar demo & fitting centers just like Ping do for their latest golf clubs.

Post by Guest »

Yeah and dont we all wish we lived in a world where the shooting sports were as popular as golf !
joe4702

Post by joe4702 »

Yep, then one could find LP10s and CM162s on Craigslist.
Justin

Post by Justin »

Main Entry: golf course
Function: noun
1: an area of land laid out for golf with a series of 9 or 18 holes each including tee, fairway, and putting green and often one or more natural or artificial hazards -- called also golf links

2: waste of a good rifle range