LP1 weight problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Robert_sfl

LP1 weight problem

Post by Robert_sfl »

Hi all,
I have been shooting a Steyr LP1 and due to a bad shoulder look for a lighter alternative. In any case I want to reuse my grip.

It is only the general weight, not the balance point that makes things difficult for me. A gun around 850 grams would be fine, but with the balance point in the front.

My first idea would be an LP2 compact, moving it forward in the grip as far as possible. Maybe the Steyr grip can also be adapted to a different model. E.g., the SAM K15 looks like a rather light construction.

Do you have any ideas?
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

I know nothing of your problem and not being a medical practioner knowing probabley would not make much diference. However I would enagague a pysiotheripist and try and make that sholder as good as it can be.

In the mean time dont be stuck to your grip, take the opertunity to have a look around. remember you can always come back to an lp2 and your grip.

Look at this as a optetunity to look wide befor you decide, but do look at the pysio , foreget shooting it's your health! In 20 years what is it going to feel like?

Best wishes

J
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Robert,

I'm no doctor either but my gut tells me shaving a few ounces off an AP will probably not help you avoid your shoulder problems. It could very well be that the repetitive motion involving in shooting is far more problematic than a few additional ounces.

I agree with Julian, see if you can get some medical attention. If that doesnt work, you may need to consider shooting with the other hand. You certainly sound motivated enough to make a go of it.

F. Paul in Denver

Post by Guest »

Robert,
You dont say how your pistol is configured ie. CO2/air.
If air, you can purchase a junior/short cylinder which will reduce the felt weight considerably.
If CO2 you could fit the CO2 to Air adapter and the above cylinder.
You could also look at removing the aluminium shroud and fitting something like an Anschutz LP@ or LP2 compensator, which weigh much less.
Robert_Sfl

Post by Robert_Sfl »

Thanks for the replies, you are right that the medical viewpoint has priority allthough there is little that can be done (rheumatism due to diabetes). I still can shoot the 375 sometimes but it is difficult and hurts particularly the second half of the tour. When I remove the cylinder (air) which reduces by about 200 gram, then I can get aligned easily. I think if I get that weight on the overall gun then shooting will be fun again. My shoulder is in a stable state not getting worse so I want to make my move now and not just wait.

I put a lot of work into the custom grip but you are right there too, I should not stick to it too much.

Thanks for the idea to shoot left! Originally I was a leftie but was galvanised in school to write with the right hand (common practice back then). I will give it a try!
Robert_Sfl

Post by Robert_Sfl »

Thanks for the replies, you are right that the medical viewpoint has priority allthough there is little that can be done (rheumatism due to diabetes). I still can shoot the 375 sometimes but it is difficult and hurts particularly the second half of the tour. When I remove the cylinder (air) which reduces by about 200 gram, then I can get aligned easily. I think if I get that weight on the overall gun then shooting will be fun again. My shoulder is in a stable state not getting worse so I want to make my move now and not just wait.

I put a lot of work into the custom grip but you are right there too, I should not stick to it too much.

Thanks for the idea to shoot left! Originally I was a leftie but was galvanised in school to write with the right hand (common practice back then). I will give it a try!

Post by Guest »

Robert, How about the other suggestions? No Good?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Robert, How about the other suggestions? No Good?
I will take the opportunity to have a wider look around as Julian said. Including lighter cylinder, LP2 compact, different gun entirely or switching to left hand. There is a large shop that I can reach so I will take my time and spend a day.

Thanks again for the ideas.