Dry Firing Smallbore Rifles?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

I have a Walther Powermatch and Anschutz 1912 Smallbore Sport Rifle. Is it safe to dry fire the rifles? I have been told for many years that it is not good for the firing pin on smallbore guns to dry fire. However, lately I have been told by some very experienced precision shooters that it dosen't harm the rifle by dry firing the rifle. Which is it?

I have been looking for a good 22 snap cap, but most out there don't last especially the plastic ones. I have tried using spent cases, but the cases have expanded to much to re-insert into the chamber after they have been fired.

Post by Guest »

Just use the plastic ones. You get loads in a packet, and just shoot them like you would shoot normally, ie load a new one for each shot. I have an eley ammo box of snap caps and use them like that. I haven't worn one out yet.
cmj

Post by cmj »

Anschutz also makes a dry firing pin that is easy to replace the regular pin with. Basically it is a regular pin that has been shortened to eliminate any contact with the chamber. Comes with spring etc, so just remove good one and replace.
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

cmj wrote:Anschutz also makes a dry firing pin that is easy to replace the regular pin with. Basically it is a regular pin that has been shortened to eliminate any contact with the chamber. Comes with spring etc, so just remove good one and replace.
I haven't noticed any of the dealers like Champion's Choice or Shooters listing that in their product catalogs, but will check.

Thanks.
cmj

Post by cmj »

Search Champions Choice "firing pin" Have them for older 54 and also for 64 actions. Basically just a regular pin that has been shortened.

Anschutz 7006901

ANS 1807-T12 DRY FIRE PIN W/SPRING W/RET-1800,1900,2000 SERI

Anschutz Dry Firing Pin w/spring for Anschutz 1800,1900 & 2000 Series actio... more info...

$51.00
In Stock

Post by Guest »

Only poorly designed .22 rimfires are damaged by dryfiring.

If correctly designed the firing pin will not contact the camber edge even without a round in.

I have dry fired all my .22 rifles and pistols extensively (the pistols thousands of times) and never had a problem.

You can check a rifle by de-cocking the bolt (out of the rifle) and looking to see if the firing pin protrudes past the boltface.

Post by Guest »

remove your bolt, decock it. If the fireing pin extends beyond the face of the bolt then dont dry fire without something in the chamber. If it is flush or behind the bolt face, youre good to go.
metermatch

Dry fire .22 rifles

Post by metermatch »

I shot smallbore prone extensively in the 1980's-early 1990's using an Anschutz 1813, like about 95% of the other shooters at the time. I have never heard of anyone putting a special firing pin in for dry firing this rifle. Dry fire is standard operating procedure. Spent enough time at Camp Perry. During the prep time, you could hear the sound of guns being dry fired. Never saw anyone changing a firing pin. If you aren't dry firing a few times during a typical 20 shot stage, then you probably will shoot better if you did.

Occasionaly (very very rare) a firing pin would break. Standard procedure was to have a spare firing pin. It takes, what, 60 seconds to replace. You could do it during a match, My spare pin, bought 20 years ago, is still in the original Anschutz wrap.

And that rifle has well over 150,000 rounds through it. Same pin.

You will learn more dry firing than you will shooting live ammo. Busted firing pin is a small price to pay.

But note I am referring specifically to Anschutz rifles. There are probably guns out there that may be a problem.

Jeff
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

If my memory serves correctly, a few early Anschutz firing pins would fatigue and crack at junction between the "flag" and the body of the pin. If you were dry firing when that happened, the pin would move forward, strike the breech face and peen a little divot into the chamber. The divot would prevent you from loading a cartridge. The fix was a simple stoning job, and accuracy was not affected. The Anshutz dry fire pin could never reach the breech, even if it broke. I believe the heat treatment and the shape of the newer pins were altered slightly to improve fatigue resistance.

I have direct knowledge of only one failure, and this was a very active shooter. Ten minutes at the gunsmith fixed the problem.
randy1952

Snap Caps

Post by randy1952 »

Anonymous wrote:Just use the plastic ones. You get loads in a packet, and just shoot them like you would shoot normally, ie load a new one for each shot. I have an eley ammo box of snap caps and use them like that. I haven't worn one out yet.
What brand of snap caps did you use? The ones I used where no good after about 10 shots.