Sight Black

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Steve Swartz wrote:Also-Nicole- who makes the carbide gizmo you are referring to?
It's the Ray-Vin Super Smoker from Ray-Vin.com, priced at $35.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

I second that super smoker. Nicole was kind enough to smoke my sights and that thing laid out some pretty nice blackness. As a matter of fact, the smoke soot is still on my pistol and it has been 2 nights.

That is a nice unit. Looks pretty smooth. A must have to add to the shooters paraphanellia bag :)
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Thanks!

Steve
Fred

Post by Fred »

Steve Swartz wrote: It is called the "Super Black Touch-Up Pen" and has the phrase "Flat Black" on the barrel of the pen. It came in a "Net Weight 1/3 Fl Oz (10 ml)" size.

Steve
Steve,

I thought that was probably the one you meant, and it's one of the products that did not work well for me. What I found was that it did not cover bare metal (e.g. the worn top corners of a front sight) evenly, and left streaky patches. That's true, at least, of my sample. Since you raised the topic again, I pulled it out and did a little testing to confirm my memory.

Then I tried something new: I first applied a coat of another ink/paint that did cover well and is very black. I used a Sharpie Industrial pen, but probably any similar indelible one would do. While this is deep black, it does reflect light. However, the B-C flat black goes on very evenly over the Sharpie ink, and removes the reflectivity. Seems to work well, even in direct light.

This is all probably over-kill, but it might help someone.

FredB