32swl

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tim_T

32swl

Post by Tim_T »

I am having problems with consistent powder drops when loading on my dillon 550. I already have the x-small bar in place, and I am using Bullseye powder, was using ADI AP70.

The load is ~1.5gr with 98gr WC.

Any tips/sugestions welcome.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Though I can't comment on the Dillon Press (have used but never owned one so don't know it that well), I have had problems with ADI AP70. I found the powder burns too slowly for .32 L and the big flakes didn't dispense well.
When using it I also always seemed to end up with a lot of what appeared to be unburnt flakes (except that they were burnt) gumming up the works - like someone had tipped a 1/4 teaspoon of dried yeast into my pistol. I couldn’t get a consistent group either (TOZ 49 and a FAS 603) and after much experimentation eventually gave up on AP70 for .32. I now use it for .38 where it is reasonable or .357 Mag (for amusement only) where it is better due to its slower burning rate. However I don't think I would buy it again and am even tempted to send it up in smoke on the 5th November. A mate gave me a small quantity of the faster burning AP50 to try out and I found it to be much better for .32 (both in terms of performance and measuring).
The best powder I have used for .32 has been Winchester Super Target (WST) but I'm now finding it difficult to obtain so when my current stash runs out, I have some Vihtavuori N310 ready to go which I have found to be the next best thing.

These two previous threads are worth a read...
viewtopic.php?t=12415
viewtopic.php?t=12160
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

I use a load recommended to me by the late Don Nygord many years ago: 1.7 gr 231 under a 98 gr HBWC. Works flawlessly in my DES 32U. I load these on a single stage press, because I am sceptical of a progressive throwing such light charges consistently. 231 is slightly slower than Bullseye, but much cleaner.

Bill
Tim_T

Post by Tim_T »

I also am frustrated by the droppings/residue with light loads of AP50/70. both in the 32 and 357.

As to supplies of WST, here in Qld. Gold Coast Shooters has some.

The next shippment is due for arrival in approx 3-4 weeks from winchester.
CROB

Post by CROB »

... I have had problems with ADI AP70. I found the powder burns too slowly for .32 L and the big flakes didn't dispense well.
I have this problem with AP70 too (in 38 Spl). I tried AS30 which worked just as well without the mess. It has a "sharper" recoil altough I wouldn't say it was heavier than the AP70. Obviously the charge weight is different - check the ADI book. AS30 is about the same speed as Bullseye.

I use a Dillon square deal B, but it has the same powder thrower as the 550. ADI powders do not consistently meter in it. I don't think ADI powders have a consistent volume density (they are "fluffy") and Dillon dispenses by volume (as do most other measures). Winchester powders (WST and 231) seem to be very sticky and, in my opinion, also don't meter consistently in a Dillon meter.

I changed to Vihta powders (N310) and have measured drops from the dillon meter +/- 0.1gn - which is as good as my scales anyway. I tried this at for 30 drops at each of 1gn, 2gn, 3gn & 4gn (OK I'm compulsive) and it convinced me that for match ammo there was no advantage to weighing every charge - which I used to do. Vihta N310 powder has a very consistent volume density and isn't sticky.

Custers are in Qld I think and can supply Vihta powder. The downside is that in Aus they are double the price of ADI.

Post by Guest »

Custers are in Qld I think and can supply Vihta powder. The downside is that in Aus they are double the price of ADI.
When loading a .32swl you can't really worry about the price of the powder as at 1.5gr per shot a can lasts ages!

My advice is to go with the Vhit N310, it's cleaner (including less smoke) than both ADI and Winchester.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yep, and my XL650 throws VV310 charges at 1.4grs really consistent. Besides, it's good stuff for short barrels.
Tim_T

Post by Tim_T »

Thanks for the help. I will probably get a bottle of N310 and see how it goes.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

my SqDB throws 1.7gr of VV N310 just fine (83gr bullet)
it throws 1.5gr just fine (90 gr bullet)
when I set it to 1.2gr for the 98/100gr bullet I get a squib load every few dozen shots or so

I plan to try some 452AA or 231 with the 98's & 100's some time

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

My 550 throughs the following loads fine;

VV310 1.3 gr
231 1.6 gr

using the extra small powder bar.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

My dillon meters out 1.5gr of Accurate #2 just fine.

R.M.

Post by Guest »

When I was shooting 32 S&WL i used WST and VV N-310. Both metered well in my Dillon 550.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

There is a micrometer adapter for the Dillon Small powder bar---the problem with the small bar is the small increment end of the bar is radiused on the edges--so rendering the bar almost incapable of getting real small loads i.e. 1.2 gr of VVN310. I carefully removed the radius by some careful filing and do have reasonable consistency with the VV N310. However this powder is very carefully manufactured and the grains look very uniform under a microscope, I cannot say the same for Bullseye however. When I start to reload for the .32, I usually dump quite a few cranks on the powder station until the balance reads consistent results for ten loads. I re-check the system every 100 rounds as well, I also sit very close to the 550B and watch each and every case as it leaves the powder station.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi, This may help.

viewtopic.php?t=14189

Kent