Best fun yet "serious" air rifle for 6yo Cub Scout

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

shakennotstirred

Best fun yet "serious" air rifle for 6yo Cub Scout

Post by shakennotstirred »

My son (a Tiger Cub) and I attended his first Cub-A-Ree this weekend, and BB gun shooting was on the menu. They were using something like a Crosman 760 pump fitted with globe sights.

I am proud to say that not only was he the only Cub to hit the 8.5x11 target sheet (at 10m, from the prone) with his five shots, he had 2 8s, a 7, a 6, and a 5 (on an NRA B-2) in a respectable group. This was his first time EVER firing a projectile weapon.

We'll be moving to CA from Germany this winter, and I'd like to purchase a good air rifle for my son. Of course, I'd like something relatively inexpensive, given his age, and something that we can plink with. But, as an avid shooter myself (Service Pistol & Rifle, IPSC/IDPA), I'd like something with good sights and that is capable of good accuracy.

Thanks!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Look around for a Daisy 499 BB gun

Check out the Daisy Outdoor website.
Gardell

BB gun

Post by Gardell »

I bought a 499b from our host. It is amazingly accurate and has nice adjustable sights. Make sure you also get target BBs.
n1heu

Post by n1heu »

http://www.odcmp.com/Rifles/JrRifles.htm

The top rifle is a Daisy 853C. This is a great rifle to start with sporter air rifle. It is recomended for ages 10-13 however. You would have to make your own judgement about the suitability of such a rifle based on size, strength, and coordination of your junior shooter. Everyone is different.

mike
Roys14

Post by Roys14 »

If he can hit at 10m you may want to check out pellet rifles.daisy is probaly your best bet
TWP

Post by TWP »

n1heu wrote:http://www.odcmp.com/Rifles/JrRifles.htm

The top rifle is a Daisy 853C. This is a great rifle to start with sporter air rifle. It is recomended for ages 10-13 however. You would have to make your own judgement about the suitability of such a rifle based on size, strength, and coordination of your junior shooter. Everyone is different.

mike
I'll second the 853, but at 7 or 8 years old you'll still need to cut the stock down for him.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

He will probably have difficulty charging the 853. If you want an air rifle you might want to consider the 888. It's a CO2 gun based on the 853. Anyone who fills paint ball cylinders can fill the 888 cylinder. The guns is about 7 lbs. My 9 year old shoots it well but he's been shooting a 499 for about three years.

For a Tiger Cub I wold still recommend the 499. I had to shorten the stock for my kid when he started at about age 6. Save the piece you cut off and put it back on later.

The main thing is to provide the opportunity using accurate equipment that he won't get frustrated with. Then let him have fun. I don't know about CA but many areas have 4H BB gun programs.

Sam
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Since you are in Germany, look for a used Diana 70 or 72. These are small and will fit a 6 years old kid very well.

The 70 is the recoiling version, the 72 is the recoilless version.

The problem is, they have been out of production for a long time, so you can't just drop into a gun shop and buy one. If you put the word out, you might be able find one.

Because of its age, you might also have to get it serviced. You don't want to damage the mechanism if the seals need to be replaced. $$$

Gary