Use of a back brace

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Ariani

Use of a back brace

Post by John Ariani »

I have a question.
One of our pistol shooters at the club wears a back brace. He injured his back many years ago, and when he is required to walk or stand for long periods of time, he wears this brace contraption. Nothing really special about it - it sort of resembles the large belt like things that weight lifters wear. It's a bit broader and wraps around the lower back and accross the lower stomach and is tightened by two sturdy velcro straps. Under clothes, one would never know it was there. He's quite open about it - and we all know he wears it on the range - as well as off.
But a thought crossed my mind on whether there's an advantage in these. (I'm referring to wearing one when you don't have a back problem) I know that things like elbow and wrist supports (similar to what tennis players use) aren't allowed. Just wondering about back braces - especially if there's a genuine need? Anyone experienced a situation like this?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

IMHO back braces fall foul of rule 8.4.7.3:-
The use of any special devices, means or garments which immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the shooter’s legs, body or arms, is prohibited in order to ensure that the performance skills of the shooters are not artificially improved by special clothing.

This would mean that he would not be allowed to use it in a match run under STRICT ISSF rules. That doesn't mean to say however that local rules could not be modified to allow a back brace if there is a proven medical need, it just wouldn't be strict ISSF.

Post by Guest »

I dont have an answer to the question but;

This reminds me of a story about an international shooter (perhaps Russian) who devised a leather shooting jacket with some sort of cord, rope, cable or other pulling device that ran down the sleeve of non shooting sleeve.

The other end of the device was attached somewhere in sleeve of the shooting arm. The story I heard is that when the shooter leaned back and exerted downward pressure on the non shooting sleeve this provide lifting support to the shooting arm.
jackh

Post by jackh »

How come rifle shooters get to wear all that leather stuff?

In light of this thread, I'm seriously asking.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jackh wrote:How come rifle shooters get to wear all that leather stuff?

In light of this thread, I'm seriously asking.
Because the ISSF have watered down the application of 7.4.7.1.2 "The use of any special devices means or garments which immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the shooter's legs, body or arms are prohibited in order to ensure that the performance skills of the shooters are not artificially improved by special clothing."

They have a rule that says you can't have support but then a whole range of rules that say you can. I don't know enough about rifle shooting to comment on whether the special clothing is needed, all I know is that the rules are contradictory.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

David Levene wrote:IMHO back braces fall foul of rule 8.4.7.3:-
The use of any special devices, means or garments which immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the shooter’s legs, body or arms, is prohibited in order to ensure that the performance skills of the shooters are not artificially improved by special clothing.

This would mean that he would not be allowed to use it in a match run under STRICT ISSF rules. That doesn't mean to say however that local rules could not be modified to allow a back brace if there is a proven medical need, it just wouldn't be strict ISSF.
Agreed in the strictest sence, However; The are provisions for "Disabled" shooters for example wheel chairs. and they often get to shoot along side the regular shooters. I would expect it to be a matter for the competition jury. I have not had chance to trawl the rules yet but I would expect to find some provision.

Julian
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JulianY wrote:[Agreed in the strictest sence, However; The are provisions for "Disabled" shooters for example wheel chairs. and they often get to shoot along side the regular shooters. I would expect it to be a matter for the competition jury. I have not had chance to trawl the rules yet but I would expect to find some provision.
There is absolutely no such provision in the ISSF rules. You will never see a wheelchair user shooting under strict ISSF rules, it isn't possible.

As I previously said however, it is possible for those running local matches to modify the rules.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

David Levene wrote:There is absolutely no such provision in the ISSF rules. You will never see a wheelchair user shooting under strict ISSF rules, it isn't possible.
I stand corrected.

I did some checking and ISSF rules definalty would not alow this. There is an extension to the ISSF rules under the International Paralympic Committee. Their rules do allow the use of a chair but with limitations. I could finds not mention of a back brace. You can find the IPC rules at;

http://www.paralympic.org/release/Summe ... ooting.pdf

Julian
Pradeep5

Post by Pradeep5 »

At the informal club level, it all depends on what level the shooter is at. If he isn't in contention for awards/grade trophies, then I see no problem in letting him shoot. Or let him shoot anyway, but have him ineligible for prizes. At my old club we had a member in his late 70's that always took the last bay and leaned against the wall to shoot AP. No one complained, we thought it was great that he continued to participate.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Yes, the ISSF rule is quite clear now I've read it. Interesting, I guess like any other sport, there's a degree of honesty involved. I've watched a dvd of the World Cup for example, and most are wearing track suits. Quite easy to have a wrist/elbow/back/knee support underneath. Who would know? They check pistol dimensions and trigger weight. Any checks for braces, bandages and the like? The rule is clear they cannot be used - but I'm yet to hear of a method/way the officials check that this is the case. There again - would it be adventagious if one was to clad themselves in a strudy (conceiled) wrist, elbow, shoulder, back and knee braces? Probably walk like a "robot" - and that'll be the give-away!!

Post by Guest »

John,

I would submit that the lack of spot checks for this kind of cheating at major international pistol events is that there has never been a demonstrated need. I seriously doubt shooters who have worked hard to get to world cup level competition would do anything so stupid as to use some sort of illegal/hidden support.

Unlike most sports, there's virtually no money in shooting - and therefore virtually none of the riff-raff you find in professional sports.