What is the proper stance for shooting air pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dreadstar

What is the proper stance for shooting air pistol?

Post by Dreadstar »

What is the proper stance for shooting air pistol? I read several sources that all say start at 45 degrees and move your back foot to adjust your natural point of aim. Then I go out to TargetShooting Canada where there are some nice photos of Mikhail Nestruev, Franck Dumoulin, Wang Yifu and Olena Kostevych where they are all at a perfect 90 degrees to the target. There are some group photos with more shooters that also all appear to be standing exactly perpendicular to the target. Should I spend a lot of time trying to find my natural angle to the target or just forget about it and go with 90 degress to the target face?

The photos are at www.targetshooting.ca in the Coaching Information link.

Post by Guest »

stance is a very subjective matter. what works for one might not work on another.

the method that you explained is one to find the natural aim. this method allows you to be properly directing the pistol with minimal effort. it is not impossible that natural aim is close to directly perpenticular to the target.

another rational for a perpenticular to target stance is that. the arm is fully extended and the distance between the eyes and sights are the greatest. furthermore, the arm at that position is able to fully utilise the muscles on both the front and back.

basically for stand there are only guidelines and they are taught as general stances. eventually, everyone needs to find what works for them.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

as a starting point, take a look at http://www.pistol.org.au/Coaching/docum ... lained.pdf

Spencer
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Guest wrote:the method that you explained is one to find the natural aim. this method allows you to be properly directing the pistol with minimal effort. it is not impossible that natural aim is close to directly perpenticular to the target.
Something I didn't realize 'till this last year is that it's possible to change your natural point of aim. This spring, Vic, one of the fellows I shoot with, pointed out that in shooting AP, I was facing toward the target more than most and that, to get a balance, I was bending backward at the waist somewhat awkwardly. My answer at the time was that I was merely taking the position that would put my NPA on the target.

His response was that I should change it and that, if I did, it would likely be even more helpful with cartridge guns.

To my surprise, he was right. And it didn't take more than a few weeks. What I learned from the experience is that NPA may indeed be where you naturally aim, but that's because you've formed a habit. And you can change your habits. When I did, he was right, I started shooting better.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Nicole Hamilton wrote: To my surprise, he was right. And it didn't take more than a few weeks. What I learned from the experience is that NPA may indeed be where you naturally aim, but that's because you've formed a habit. And you can change your habits. When I did, he was right, I started shooting better.
I am just in the middle of this process I perfected my stance and it worked for me. but my trainer corected me. He had me stand on a sheet of A3, asked me to adopt the new stance help me get my point of aim, then drew round my feed and told me to use the template to dry fire for two weeks. Well I am at day 10 and I have to say i am amaised how steady my aim is.

There are two points to this; first I had to accept that i was corecting a mistake that, I had created through my best effort and knolege at the time. Second He had to be flexible enought to understand my needs as well as his ideal and comprimise - he understood where and why I had gone worng.

J