Pros & Cons of different diagnostic tools

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Re: Scatt

Post by David Levene »

Marcus wrote:First congratulations to David Levene going over 1000 post on TT. Well done!
Thanks Marcus. It probably just means that I have too much free time.
CROB

Post by CROB »

David Levene wrote: Did it have a light grey metal control box? It sounds like one of the very old units (7-8 years or more) with a separate power supply for the target unit.
Yes, the SCATT I saw had a grey box (not sure if it was metal or plastic). The target sensor had its own power brick. The sensor had mechanical adjustment screws, so I guess it was the older style.
Steve Swartz wrote: Not sure I understand what you mean about the Rika needing a cable "from the target to the main box?"
Sorry, my sentence was confusing. The RIKA doesn't have any cable from the target to the control unit (at least not the one our club has).
Steve Swartz wrote: Also, the "all important length of trace?" What is that, and why is it important?
Here I am para-phrasing the coach. The SCATT shows the distance travelled by the trace for some period prior to the shot release as a number (mm ?). As it was explained to me, keeping the velocity of movement to a minimum is important. On the RIKA, with "dynamic" on, the dots would appear closer together and ideally on top of each other. The SCATT gives you a number, lower is better. I guess it means your wrist is better locked and the AOM is from the shoulder or stance, which are is more parallel than angular.

But as a "cop out" I haven't spent enough time with these tools to know how this relates to improving technique, versus eye candy.