Pellets?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Pellets?

Post by Guest »

Hi people,

Just like to know what kind of pellets are being used generally.

1) Brand
I personally use RWS R10 Match and RWS Meisterkugeln. I'm not sure, but it appears as though I shoot better with the R10 than the Meisterkugeln, though they appear to be of the same quality, just that one sorts the pellet head size. Funny thing is, my LP2 swallows all the Meisterkugeln pellets fine.

So is this just in my head, or is there more to it?

2) Weight
I prefer to use Rifle pellets than Pistol pellets, though my training partners are indifferent/lean towards pistol pellets. I personally feel that the rifle pellets offer a larger degree of stability. Personal experience is that the pistol pellets tend to "fly" and go high up. However, talking to rifle shooters, they prefer pistol pellets (general consensus), because it appears that even if they sway excessively, they can still hit 10.

Again, in my head, or not?

Cheers!

Post by Guest »

it has been noticed that lighter pellets give less "kick" but whatever pellets you use it is still the same. i would say that unless your already keeping all your shots within the 9 ring bothering about something like pellets is quite a waste of time.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Steyr UK actually recommend using rifle, rather than pistol pellets because Steyr pistols operate with a higher velocity and the heavier rifle pellet is more stable in these conditions. I also know that pellets with a 4.50mm head size are a better fit in Steyrs than 4.49mm

Up till recently I've been using R10 Match rifle pellets (4.50mm) in my LP1. I still use this in my LP5 but as a result of a batch test, am now using Josef Schulz Match Diabolo rifle pellets in my LP1.

Rose
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Try

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=13338

or just scroll down a few threads.
GaryBF

Pellets

Post by GaryBF »

FYI, I shoot Vogel Green 4.50's in my Anschutz LP@Junior.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I think it's in your head. After all that is the question you asked which no one answered.
streamdreams

Post by streamdreams »

Rose wrote:Steyr UK actually recommend using rifle, rather than pistol pellets because Steyr pistols operate with a higher velocity and the heavier rifle pellet is more stable in these conditions. I also know that pellets with a 4.50mm head size are a better fit in Steyrs than 4.49mm
I have had similar infomation from Steyr UK but with a couple of qualifications.

1) Stick to the pelet size on you test card. That was the size that most suited the barrel when it was at steyr. If you test and prove other wise the so be it.

2) Given a fixed velocity, a heavier pellet (or bullet for that matter) travelin at the same velocity, will be more stable in flight. However because the relase energy of and airpistol is the same, a heavier pellet will travel slower!

3) Some rifle pellets tend to be harder which can reduce the "grip" of the rifeling especialy considering the length of travel when compaired to a rifle - watch for this.

To sum up for a Steyr I was adviced to select a high qulity pellet with a good reputation, that is on the heavier side, and you can easly and regularly obtain. Then have someone who knows what they are doing eg Styer UK, not the _know_it_all_ next door, tune the velocity in for that given pellet type of given weight. done properly you should be able get 10 shots through the same hole!

Note that R10 are quite a light pellet when compared to final match or Schulz. you will probably notice that R10s cut a neeter hole because of their higher speed.

For Comparison sake Theoretical calculations would give the following;
Brand Grain ft pounds ft/second
R10 Pistol 6.94 4.5 540
HN FM Pistol 7.56 4.5 518
JSB Match Rifle 8.02 4.5 502
JSB Match Rifle S100 8.26 4.5 495

However what ever you use, my advice would be to stick to it and make in part of your "consistant system"
However, talking to rifle shooters, they prefer pistol pellets (general consensus), because it appears that even if they sway excessively, they can still hit 10.
Balisticly that makes sence, they will travel down the barrel much faster so any movement in the follow through will have less time to take affect . However with the comparative higher power of a rifle that little pellet will be traveling at one hell of a speed and probably dose not make for good in flight stability.
Having said that good tens are good tens, I do feel though that this is hiding a fault not correcting it.
Rose

Post by Rose »

To sum up for a Steyr I was adviced to select a high qulity pellet with a good reputation, that is on the heavier side, and you can easly and regularly obtain. Then have someone who knows what they are doing eg Styer UK, not the _know_it_all_ next door, tune the velocity in for that given pellet type of given weight. done properly you should be able get 10 shots through the same hole!
Had this done :-) and this was the result: http://www.pbase.com/romy_uk/image/65597653 Nice groups eh ?
streamdreams

Post by streamdreams »

Rose wrote: Had this done :-) and this was the result: http://www.pbase.com/romy_uk/image/65597653 Nice groups eh ?
Harry does a nice job :) He has promice my sthe same treatment next time i get my gun over to the UK. He also promice me a chance to try out diferent sights and grip zized at the sam time. I must say he is a great ambassador for Steyr

SD
Rose

Post by Rose »

I'm shooting the Open at KSVR Rotterdam this weekend... are you ?

Groetjes,

Rose
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I'm just getting back into AP shooting after many years off. I have a new Steyr LP50 with the heavy trigger, which I'm mostly planning on using for training. I have a Mornini for regular AP competition, although the LP50 shoots every bit as well.

From what Pilkguns & many others sell, the approach these days seems to buy pellets in 500 round tins, and then use a pellet shaker box to organize them. I used to use pellets from tins for practice, but always shot the H&N/RWS individually packed pellets in foam trays for competition. I've got a good stash of both tinned & individually packed pellets that I'm trying to shoot up because they are old & beginning to oxidize a bit.

Because you load 5 at a time for the LP50, the variations between pellets are much more immediately apparent. The individually packed pellets are very uniform, and feel very similar when you put them in the magazine. However, the pellets from tins (still "match" pellets) are all over the place. The noses of some are tighter than others, and the rear skirts seem to vary a bit in size and are frequently a bit distorted. I had one pellet last night that was so bent that it wouldn't seat far enough into the magazine to fit in the pistol, so I pitched that one.

The tinned pellets are certainly fine for practice, but I have to wonder if people actually use them for high end competition without a certain amount of hand screening. I was surprised that several places that sell high end pistols & rifles don't even carry the individually packed pellets these days.

So what do folks actually shoot in competition? Do they use the tinned pellets and manually screen them for obvious defects? Do they find someplace that sells the individually packed pellets? Does anyone manually size their pellets for match use anymore? Or for AP, does it matter so little that nobody worries about it?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Gwhite wrote:So what do folks actually shoot in competition? Do they use the tinned pellets and manually screen them for obvious defects? Do they find someplace that sells the individually packed pellets? Does anyone manually size their pellets for match use anymore? Or for AP, does it matter so little that nobody worries about it?
If you read back through similar threads you will see that most people recommend shooting exactly the same pellets all the time. If you feel the individually boxed sets are what you need then shoot them, but shoot them in training and in competition. Why would you want to save a few cents in training when in doing so you negatively affect your competitions (which is precisely what you are training for) ?

I shoot H&N finale match all the time. Yes some are a tiny bit tighter / loser - which I notice in my LP5, not so obvious in the LP10. I also spot some swarf in the tins / inside the skirts. Any such defects and the offending pellets go in the bin. I might discard half a dozen or more per tin but that's not that many. I would also be suprised if any of the small dents etc affect the pellets or score so I don't worry if I don't spot them all.

Rob.