Izzy Box Size

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Torn Fibre

Izzy Box Size

Post by Torn Fibre »

Hi all

I have recently read the detailed ISSF Pistol Specification Table (Maximum Values) rules for 10M AP and it gives the “Box Size” as 420L X 200H X 50W.

Fair enough but my Izzy straight out of the box has a 60mm grip width. Does this mean I have to shave off 10mm? Those who own an Izzy 46M will know that the widest part occurs just below the thumb rest and the outer side of the palm rest. It would seem a shame to destroy such a nice shape, wouldn’t it?

There is also a subsection relating to the grip, which states amongst other things that any part of the palm shelf mustn’t come into contact with the wrist. I am sure mine does by a small amount. Again do I have to remove more woodwork to comply?

I think we all know intuitively where the distal part of the wrist begins but is there a definition specific to Olympic AP that might clarify matters?

My palm and wrist junction (grey area for now) may need lots of exercise to lose some weight so I can better see where they join up – funny I know.

Please forgive my ignorance but I am a complete but hooked beginner in this field and Izzy is my first ssp pistol.

Cheers Torn Fibre
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

I use my IZH (Walther KSP) for the Standard pistol and it has been in and out the "BOX" for the last few years withous a complaint.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It would appear that yes you do need to remove some wood off your grip. That said I would advise you try the gun in a box before you do anything drastic - that will tell you for sure. I'd be suprised for example if a new gun came with grips so far out of spec. I'd actually return the gun / grips and ask for it to be supplied 'ISSF legal'

Re. the wrist , yes the same applies - I had to do this on all my grips.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Your going to have to get the Dremel (or probably Power File) out I'm afraid, it seems to come with the territory when you buy an IZH46M (well it's fairly common anyway).

Don't get too hung up about the exact position of the wrist. Cut enough off the palm shelf so that it is well clear. An extra half inch will make no difference whatsoever.

Whereabouts in the UK are you?
Torn Fibre

Post by Torn Fibre »

Thanks Bob, Rob and David.

I wish I could send it back but if you read my first post (My new Izzy) you’d see that my IZH 46M was bone dry. And being an inquisitive creature and not blessed with too much patience I stripped it down to check out the piston seal and reason for scoring on the piston. So I must have invalidated the warranty plus I have to admit I took some sandpaper to the grip to smooth out the worst of the rough bits.

The Baikal specification states and I’ve measured it to confirm that the grip width is 60mm, presumably to allow would be DIY woodwork craftsmen to whittle away to perfection, as it appears I am learning “goes with the territory”.

David I live in that part of Cambridgeshire where the skies are 180 degrees, the land is as flat as a pancake and well below sea level, the wind is endless but it has its compensations so I’m often told, which I am yet to find.

Cheers Torn Fibre
streamdreams

Post by streamdreams »

It would be nice to hear from Pilkguns on this one. Its soon to say "I smell a rat" but ;

http://www.targetshooting.ca/ list it in their database as "available arms for competitive ISSF matches"

Your apsaulty corect in the box size of 420 x 200 x 50

The Bikal website list the gun size at 420 x 200 x 50 !! ???

http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/55.html

and says "Compression-type air pistols intended for international competitions. These pistols allowed winning a number of top awards on the World and European Championships."

So my question is what grip have they put on that gun?

I am guessing you are in the US; The list US imported is http://www.eaacorp.com
They list it as a competition gun. I would start talking to them

You may be able to just buy a new grip - the right one !

SD
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

streamdreams wrote:It would be nice to hear from Pilkguns on this one. Its soon to say "I smell a rat" but ;

http://www.targetshooting.ca/ list it in their database as "available arms for competitive ISSF matches"

Your apsaulty corect in the box size of 420 x 200 x 50

The Bikal website list the gun size at 420 x 200 x 50 !! ???

http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/55.html

and says "Compression-type air pistols intended for international competitions. These pistols allowed winning a number of top awards on the World and European Championships."

So my question is what grip have they put on that gun?

I am guessing you are in the US; The list US imported is http://www.eaacorp.com
They list it as a competition gun. I would start talking to them

You may be able to just buy a new grip - the right one !

SD
He's in the UK not the US.
streamdreams

Post by streamdreams »

Richard H wrote:He's in the UK not the US.

Should have spotted that but you cant see loations in the topic review window when you are typing.

Unfortuntly the dont seem to list a UK importer in tge baikal site :(

SD
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Torn Fibre wrote: David I live in that part of Cambridgeshire where the skies are 180 degrees, the land is as flat as a pancake and well below sea level, the wind is endless but it has its compensations so I’m often told, which I am yet to find.
That doesn't really help me a lot. I class anything above Watford as "The North" ;-)

Have you tried using the NSRA Club Finder Page to find a club. You will get on so much better if you can get some good advice locally.

I don't know how far it is from you but you could try contacting Jim Mallows at the Cambridge 177 Club. He can set you on the straight and narrow technique-wise and is more than qualified to advise you on the legality of your grip.
Torn Fibre

Post by Torn Fibre »

Sorry about the misinformation re the Baikal site. I have checked the manual that came with my Izzy and it states the correct Box dimensions.

If you look at the Target Shooting Canada site it shows the width as 60mm

http://www.targetshooting.ca/reframeriz ... arm_db.cfm

and click on Air Pistols - Single Shot then scroll down to IZH 46 & 46M

Decade Firearms in UK are importers and York Guns sell them. My local dealer Fenland Rural Sports originally placed my order mid July with Decade but after many weeks and no firm delivery date they, I believe ordered from York Guns whom had one left. During July onwards there was a dire shortage of this pistol from major US importers, I believe, alledgedly and judging by the back orders certain companies were taking.

My Izzy was made two years ago and left in its cardboard box unused and bone dry with the protective coating (Baikal rust prevention) that expired in April this year. I collected her in late September this year.

It certainly would be interesting to know if there are two grips for different markets.

David L - thanks for the advice and the contacts

Cheers Torn Fibre
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I only know of one club in Cambridge (but there are certainly more) and that shoots at Elizabeth Way ranges I believe - in Cambridge itself, and they have an open competition next month I believe. If you're interested in finding out more then pm me, I'll be there myself on one of the Saturdays.

Rob.
Torn Fibre

Post by Torn Fibre »

RobStubbs wrote:I only know of one club in Cambridge (but there are certainly more) and that shoots at Elizabeth Way ranges I believe - in Cambridge itself, and they have an open competition next month I believe. If you're interested in finding out more then pm me, I'll be there myself on one of the Saturdays.

Rob.
Hi Rob - that is the same club David Levene referred to, namely CURPC Cambridge University Revolver and Pistol Club along with the Cambridge 177 Open meets and Jim Mallows is the President. I only know this as I've just looked it up, so thanks to you and David for the enlightenment.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/curpc/

I will consider this kind offer to meet up with you but have to say that I am of an age where I'm eligible for a free bus pass and maybe easily overwhelmed by any excitement of the prospect of hitting a 10 ring.

Cheers Torn Fibre
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Have you actually tried it in a box? That would be the first thing I'd do. I've been to lots of comps. and scene people shooting them and they didn't look like they had done much if any work to the grip. If it doesn't fit in the box, then start taking some of the grip, its not that big of a deal. If not then buy a Steyr or Morini or ..... (I've been with people that hadd to remove material off their Steyr because of how they had they're grip adjusted so it can happen).
Last edited by Richard H on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Just spotted the end of Davids message - oops. Don't worry about the age thing there's plenty of 'mature' shooters and Cambridge is one of the friendliest shoots going, like I said I'll be there - probably Sat 11th Nov.

Rob.