Shooting frames/glasses

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
streamdreams

Shooting frames/glasses

Post by streamdreams »

I went to the optician last week and had my eyes tested. My prescription had changed so I ordered new lenses for my regular glasses and my frames. For my shooting frames I ordered my regular prescription +0.5 as described in the FAQ.

Well I took them out this afternoon and results were dramatic, halving the size of my group to all 9’s and 10’s a slight horizontal fault to the left. will have to work on that one. Even the flyers stayed in the black!

Ok to the question. I have a transparent ISSF blank on the left. But I am wondering about putting a regular prescription on the left as well, to reduce eye stress between shots etc. What are your thoughts? Is this a good idea ? Normal or bad practice?

If it helps my regular prescription is ;

Right -0.50 SPH +1.25 CYL
Left +0.25 SPH + .0.75 CYL
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I purchased my Knobloch shooting frames with an additional lens holder for my left eye when I bought them about three years ago. I then had my optician make and fit a left lens into the holder that was the same as my normal left eye prescription. Knobloch sell a strut as an accessory (part #300171, the "special adjusting slide") which allows you to stack the blinder on top of an additional lens for the non-shooting eye. Other brands may do something similar. The reason I got it was not so much to rest my eyes but as I am very short sighted, I wanted to be able to see clearly and comfortably when it came to walking forward to patch my target at club matches or when practicing - without having to swap over to my normal glasses to do this.
The only down side is that it increases the overall depth of the shooting glasses to the point that when the arms are folded, they no longer fit comfortably in the carry case that came with the frames.
It's a perfectly OK thing to do. If you would normally wear glasses, I'd say go for it.