Looking at the Front sight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
wai

Looking at the Front sight

Post by wai »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5326742.stm

the above article in BBC news seem to suggest that looking very hard at the Front sight might actually be counter productive.

Unforunately it did not say what can be done about it though.
Nicole Hamilton

Re: Looking at the Front sight

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

wai wrote:the above article in BBC news seem to suggest that looking very hard at the Front sight might actually be counter productive.
I'm not sure it says that, but it does appear to be saying you shouldn't look at it too long, in effect, another argument for not holding more than a few seconds. It's also suggestive that when you drop the gun between shots, it might be good to relax by closing your eyes.
Mike S-J

Post by Mike S-J »

Nichole is right - although the BBC article muddles attention span with intensity, the original manuscript is quite clear that it is attention span. I have to say, its not the greatest study. The 3 data sets they present (yes, 3!) show something interesting however. That the "benefit" phase of the task lasted about 2 seconds, with the maximum benefit at around 1 second in all three subjects. This suggests it may be best to avoid looking at the sights until you are as close to the settle as possible. Is that standard coaching advice?
Fred Mannis

When to Look

Post by Fred Mannis »

Some time ago I know that Steve Swartz suggested not looking until after the raise. I do this as well and find it helpful. The infocus front sight just 'pops up' at me. And I find that it does relax and refresh my eyes, which are getting old and dry.

Fred
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"Standard Coaching Advice" repeated here often:

1- Stare at front sight with great intensity (physical and mental)
2- If shot doesn't break quickly, abort

Additional advice:

1- Rest between shots (including eyes)
2- Keep eyes closed until approach phase of shot plan (drop to aiming area), to reduce amount of time spent focusing on front sight

My old eyes lose "crispness" or "intensity" very quickly. Two very strong reasons for rapid go/no go decision:

- Physical wobble area increase rapidly
- Loss of intensity of eye focus
- Loss of mental intensity

"If the shot hasn't broken by the time you think about it, PTFGD!"

Steve Swartz
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Steve Swartz wrote:"Standard Coaching Advice" repeated here often:

1- Stare at front sight with great intensity (physical and mental)

Steve Swartz
Steve,

I have read and heard this same advice a gazillion times, but it does not match up with a conversation I had with Erich Buljung several years ago. His advice was a "soft focus".

Stan
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

. . . waiting with great interest to understand what "soft focus" means as I am unfamiliar with the term . . . need the Buljungese to english translation . . .

My belief is that much wisdom from the great shooters is frequently misinterpreted, simply because of the semantics of language. Especially true in a discipline with its own unique jargon; more so when the jargon is inconsistently applied (like in shooting).

I don't know, but I doubt, that Eric was recommending physically focusing the eye somewhere other than the front sight? How else would focus be "soft?"

Alternately, was he advocating not concentrating on the front sight (alignment); i.e. soft "mental" focus?

Steve

(p.s. great to hear from you again!)
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Steve Swartz wrote:I don't know, but I doubt, that Eric was recommending physically focusing the eye somewhere other than the front sight? How else would focus be "soft?"

Alternately, was he advocating not concentrating on the front sight (alignment); i.e. soft "mental" focus?

Steve

(p.s. great to hear from you again!)
Steve,

The impression he gave me was that one must pay attention to the entire sight picture and not focus laser-like on just the front sight. Clearly, the relationships between the front sight, rear sight and bull have to be controlled and managed, but putting 99% of your effort into just the front sight is not going to get it done. It would seem that by widening your area of attention (soft focus), you can better manage the shot delivery.

I also think his comment might be related to another philosophy of his. Remember his "no stinkin' thinkin'" shirts or whatever they said?

Stan
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Stan:

Ahhh o.k.- now I see (pun intended). Of course alignment is absolutely critical- the most important element of delivering the perfect shot (IMNSHO). *IF* (as Erich would argue) you are sacrificing alignment in any way at all by focusing on the front sight, then certainly DON'T DO THAT!

However

For Me Personally Your Mileage May Vary and all that- focusing intensely on the front sight is REQUIRED to maintain consistent, precise alignment.

In addition- deep front sight focus (while maintaining perfect alignment) provides a very strong "muzzle position data stream" that is needed for effective subconscious shot release.

So maybe this is another case of "vehement agreement" or some such.

Or (equally likely) Erich was using semantic dissonance to emphasize a point- I know he would frequently say "controversial things" (that might not in and of themselves be entirely accurate) in order to drive home a broader truth; or get stubborn, arrogant know-it-alls like me to think about things in a different way.

Steve Swartz
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Steve Swartz wrote:Stan:

Ahhh o.k.- now I see (pun intended). Of course alignment is absolutely critical- the most important element of delivering the perfect shot (IMNSHO). *IF* (as Erich would argue) you are sacrificing alignment in any way at all by focusing on the front sight, then certainly DON'T DO THAT!

Steve Swartz
Actually, I think he was making the point of being aware that the sight picture (not just alignment) looked good so just shoot. Also, I think he was emphasizing the conscious disconnect and subconscious connection of shooting while you had an apparent perfect sight picture. BTW, I think the conversation started with how to cure chicken finger.

Remember the story about Bill Demarest's FWR in FP (577 + 99.2)? As I recall, he said something about having a song in his head that day, and he just played the song while he shot. He wasn't thinking about focusing on the front sight or probably thinking about any particular part of his shot delivery. My guess is he ran his shot program, subconsciously, and when he saw an acceptable sight picture, he just let the shots go. His training took care of everything else.

Stan