smallbore cleaning question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

B.T.Carstensen

smallbore cleaning question

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

I am just wondering what whould happen to a smallbore rifle if you used a brush without putting a patch thought it first in other words a dry barrel.

Thanks
---Brian---
RifleNicky

Post by RifleNicky »

umm not quit sure but i've been tought to wet the brush and put it through like that.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

what I am looking for is someone who has put a brush
though the barral dry.
I was thinking that it might get more lead out.

---Brian---

Post by Guest »

I have a bore scope and its not that diffcult to remove lead. A dry brush just sounds like it would grind with the glass particle residue to scratch the barrel. I think you would be better off to remove the loose powder particles (that are a form of glass) with a patch that is lubricated with oil first before attempting to remove the lead. I use Shooters Choice Lead Remover. Then I put some SCLR on a brush and stroke the barrel with it. On a new custom barrel it may take 8 strokes or so. Might take more if you let it get really leaded. After the barrel breaks in it might take only 4 strokes. But each barrel is a little different. Then run a dry patch and your ready to shoot. There are other products that remove lead as easily, such as IOSSO bore paste, but I would always recommend removing the loose stuff first so you don't grind it into to bore. In fact I use a 1 inch round patch that fits kind of loose to remove the loose stuff before using 1 1/8 inch patches for IOSSO or whatever other product I might use. And use a bore guide. Rich