New Steyr LP50 Owner With a Few Questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

New Steyr LP50 Owner With a Few Questions

Post by Gwhite »

I just got an LP50, and I'm trying to sort out a few issues. There are several pieces that came with it that don't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

1) A black U-shaped plastic piece. This looks about the right size to fit inside the grip, and would raise the frame of the pistol about half a cm relative to the grip. I'm not sure why one woudl want to, but I can't think of any place else it would go.

2) There is a small chrome looking cone in with the spare O-rings that is threaded internally. It doesn't look like anything I can see on the pistol, and I didn't notice anything on the parts diagram that looked like it either.

I have the heavy trigger unit installed, and the hope was to set it up to be close to the feel of my Benelli MP90S. I have a two stage trigger, but I didn't see anything in the Steyr manual about adjusting the weight (force) of the two stages. You can adjust the length of the first stage, and the weight where it fires, but the first stage on the Steyr is MUCH heavier than my Benelli. Is there any way to adjust this easily on the Steyr?

I must say, it is lots of fun to shoot, and very accurate. It will take a while to get used to the idea of an air gun I can shoot sustained fire with, however. I have a Hill pump to fill my cylinders, and that's going to be a much more frequent workout with the Steyr than my single shot Morini.
scragglepoint

Post by scragglepoint »

no answer to your questions, but I'm very interested in how things work out, since I'm looking at buying either the LP50 or the Aeron B98 for the same reasons. I have a benelli MP95 and want the airgun to practice at home with.

please let me know if it works out the way you hoped.

Dave
cdf

Post by cdf »

The plastic insert is a grip spacer . The Chrome plated cone eludes me . Instructions for adjusting trigger weight on both stages should be in your owners manual , if not try the 10p files on this site . You can also download a manual from the Styer website .

If you aquired the gun on the secondary market , the chrome plated cone might a part of the compensator that goes in the muzzel end of the barrel shroud . ( former owner may have removed it )

They are a lot of fun to shoot and extremely accurate. Some of my best ever groups have been shot with an LP50 .

One caveat , the heavy trigger unit may be different from the standard unit the gun normally comes with.

Chris
dflast

Post by dflast »

My own Steyr came with a mystery conical widget in the o-ring/tool packet too: this was tossed in by Pilkguns as a simple tool to ease stretching replacement o-rings onto the cylinder fitting without tearing.
-David
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Thanks! That clears up the parts mysteries. Now I just have to figure out the trigger. I have some whittling to do on the grip & re-balancing with barrel weights, and I can try studying the trigger diagram & instructions in the meantime. I have no idea if the heavy trigger is significantly different from the regualr trigger or not. It may be a matter of the springs used inside, or something more radical.

The pistol was bought new from Pilkguns, and they didn't provide any separate info on the heavy trigger unit, which they installed.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Gwhite wrote: The pistol was bought new from Pilkguns, and they didn't provide any separate info on the heavy trigger unit, which they installed.
Give them a bell then. I would 'assume' it would be the same as the standard trigger but I don't know.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Re: New Steyr LP50 Owner With a Few Questions

Post by Fred Mannis »

Gwhite wrote: I have the heavy trigger unit installed, and the hope was to set it up to be close to the feel of my Benelli MP90S. I have a two stage trigger, but I didn't see anything in the Steyr manual about adjusting the weight (force) of the two stages. You can adjust the length of the first stage, and the weight where it fires, but the first stage on the Steyr is MUCH heavier than my Benelli. Is there any way to adjust this easily on the Steyr?
The LP50 is a multi shot, so Steyr set up the trigger as single stage with some roll. You can adjust the pre (dead) travel, the trigger weight, overtravel, and to a very limited degree, the amount of roll. The roll (sear engagement) is controlled by the screw glued in place with red cement. Do not decrease the sear engagement as the gun will go full auto. You can increase sear engagement if you want a trigger with a little more roll. Take the trigger unit out and study it and you can see how the adjustments work.

I originally bought my LP50 for the same reason you did. I did not find the LP50 a good pistol with which to simulate my Pardini SPE; the trigger is different and the whole pistol feels different. Recoil recovery in sustained fire is different. It did, however, get me into AP and FP shooting which I now prefer to Bullseye. My 22 BE scores did go up significantly partly because I was just training and shooting a lot with the AP and the basics of trigger control and concentration apply to any pistol.