Cramping base of thumb with shooting gloves.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

diopter

Cramping base of thumb with shooting gloves.

Post by diopter »

Is it anything I should be concerned about, or will it go away once the new Gehmann glove gets broken in?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You could try 'working' the glove a little to make it more supple. Have you had the problem with previous gloves ? I would suggest that perhaps your thumb is in a different position than normal. It could be that it will go away when you get used to it or the glove softens. I would however suggest that it is not something you want to happen. If it doesn't go away then change to a different glove would be my advice.

Rob.

P.S. Is it just cramp or does it tingle / lose sensation ?
diopter

Post by diopter »

It's actual cramping from the wrist up to about the first jopint in the thumb.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

diopter wrote:It's actual cramping from the wrist up to about the first jopint in the thumb.
And is it something you've had before or totally new ? Have you also changed your shooting style / stance at all <hand / wrist position> ?

Rob.

Post by Guest »

I never had this problem with my old Anschutz full-finger glove, but when I bought a new half/finger glove from Gehmann, I started having this exact problem. I started using my old glove again and it went away. The padding seemed to be about the same, but the wrist area of the new glove was tighter.

I was trying to find a glove that didn't get so hot in the summer season. But the hurting thumb thing really affected my concentration.

After I went back to my old glove, I also made a new set of fore-end wood for my Walther KK200 stock which created a wider platform for the hand...that really took away all of the pain of the left hand through a 60 shot prone match.
Good luck.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

I had only used one pair, and the only thing that comes to my mind is the size, maybe you need a bigger size. I remember when ordering my pair (Anschutz), that they suggested if I wasn't sure of my size to order it large, better bigger than smaller.

My 2 cents.
BOOKER

Post by BOOKER »

I had only used one pair, and the only thing that comes to my mind is the size, maybe you need a bigger size. I remember when ordering my pair (Anschutz), that they suggested if I wasn't sure of my size to order it large, better bigger than smaller.

My 2 cents.
diopter

glove

Post by diopter »

Just a new glove, finger-less in XL.
My actaul hand size is between medium and large.
The longer I have the glove on with the weight of the rifle. the more it hurts. I have to rest the rifle down after about 10 ten shots, flex my fingers for awhile, then pick up the rifle again and continue until the pain affects my hold again.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It would be foolish to try and shoot with it so I would suggest going back to the old glove and seeing if you can get a new one from another manufacturer that doesn't cause those problems. Perhaps see if you can talk it through with a decent coach or even a retailer to try and resolve the problem fully.

Rob.
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Have you checked the elastic wristband? Running a club program and ordering gloves in bunches, I have noticed a big difference in the elasticity of the wristbands. Some are much tighter than others. This will work out of a glove when used, but sounds like you don't have time to do this. Would suggest sending back to vendor and getting another, you could be surprised at the difference in wristbands. I have done this twice, and it worked out.

Post by Guest »

I had a problem that maybe the same that occured when I shortened the sling one notch to ensure I met the 30 degree rule. Finally put it back the old way and problem went away. I felt the slightly shorter sling was putting a bend in my wrist. Perhaps this new glove is putting a bend in your wrist or by being stiffer is putting a kink in your wrist.
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

As a similar poster said I would try and loosen the elastic of the wristband.

To try and cater for all shapes and sizes manufacturers often have the wristband tigher than looser, the theory being its easier to slacken it off if you need to than it is to tighten it if you need to.

I would have no doubt in the quality of the Gehmann glove, I would have more faith in it to be honest than the Anschutz one, so try slacking the elastic I'm sure it will work great.
T-Man

Post by T-Man »

TargetShootingShop: I did loosen the Gehmann glove wrist elastic by stretching it out til it almost tore (I could hear the tearing of the elastic), but my hand still hurt like crazy.

I have a theory:

My full fingered Anschutz glove is probably a bit small for my hand but the wrist is very loose, and my fingers and thumb "bottom" out in the glove. That creates a "hammock" that keeps quite a bit of pressure off the base of my thumb and palm of my hand. (The Gehmann glove "bottoms" out on the web between the fingers.)

Very little pain with that Anschutz glove. Now that I made new wider forend wood for my Walther stock, I have ZERO hand pain for the duration of a match, and can stay in postion for 30-40 shots before I need to work out some hand stiffness.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Your milage may vary. Member FDIC.

T-Man
T-Man

Post by T-Man »

One other thing my old shooting coach (rest his soul) taught was to wear your shooting glove or mitt around the shell house for a few hours. If it bothers you after a while when not shooting, it'll bother the heck out of you while shooting.
wrc

Post by wrc »

If the glove is especially stiff, or has a different style of rubber/plastic, it may be forcing your hand to a different position under the stock. Check if the weight of the stock is now resting more on top of the "fat of your thumb" instead of just to the inside of it. At my last practice, I experienced the same cramping, and realized that my hand was slightly out of place.
2650 Plus.

Pain from shooting glove

Post by 2650 Plus. »

I'm a little out of my prefered area of expertise how ever would you consider taking a knife and cutting the fingers off on the glove that does not cause pain?
2650 Plus.

Pain from shooting glove

Post by 2650 Plus. »

I'm a little out of my prefered area of expertise how ever would you consider taking a knife and cutting the fingers off on the glove that does not cause pain?