leaving Morini 84 switch on during breaks

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
elliott

leaving Morini 84 switch on during breaks

Post by elliott »

A question for those of you who shoot the Morini k84. When taking a break of say 5 minutes or longer, should you flip the electric switch off to save the battery, or does flipping the switch too much cause wear and tear on an expensive part while the battery is much cheaper to replace.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Elliott:

I always figured the current consumed in "dormant" state was much less than current consumed by LEDs firing up during "warmup" period.

Then again- I am NOT the 84E battery expert!!!!!!!!

Steve Swartz
Elliot

Post by Elliot »

I never turn mine off if I'm just going to take a short break. In fact, I have accidentally left mine on for days at a time and was able to continue using the same set of batteries for quite some time afterwards.

F. Paul in Denver
Fred

Post by Fred »

Elliot wrote:I never turn mine off if I'm just going to take a short break. In fact, I have accidentally left mine on for days at a time and was able to continue using the same set of batteries for quite some time afterwards.

F. Paul in Denver
F. Paul,
Are you talking about the free pistol or the air pistol? In my experience, if you leave the free pistol on "for days at a time" you will come back to a dead battery. That's because the free pistol trigger interrupt circuit is constantly drawing current. The air pistol, lacking that circuit, does not experience much of a constant power drain, although it probably has some small amount. I figure "minutes" on is OK for the FP, but "hours" is not.

Elliot,
Anything happening with the proposed matches at your home range? Sorry to introduce this topic here, but I don't know how else to contact you.

Regards,
FredB
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I turn mine off when taking a rest. I find it's good to get into the habit of switching it off when you are not immediately using it so to avoid the situation of putting it away in your safe with the circuit still running (which I once managed to do after a dry-firing session and drained the battery). Switching it off also makes it more "safe" and is something I always do during a practice session when I leave my pistol open on the bench before going forward to patch my target. I wouldn’t worry about the switch - it's a high quality precision switch that (relatively speaking) really doesn't get used that much. I wouldn’t be surprised if it lasted a couple of lifetimes.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

My mistake Fred - I was referring to the AP.

Thanks for pointing that out.

F. Paul
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yes, and switching it off does give you the wonderful insight afterwards - we've all forgotten to switch it back on at one time or another, haven't we? - that you could pull 500g without moving the front sight...
elliott

free pistol matches at USI range in concord, calif

Post by elliott »

Fred B,
According to range master, I have permission to hold a shoot or shoots. The problem is the range is scheduled out a year in advance, so I'm looking for a tentative date and then find out if any of our shooting "posse" will attend. To occupy a range date and have no one show up would not bode well for getting more date.
Elliott
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Elliott. I hope it can happen! To get the word out, once you have picked a date, I would guess David Gee and Tony Silva would have the best email correspondence lists. Let me know if you need any help.

Regards,
FredB