Rapid Fire/ Sport Pistol Lights Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg Knutzen

Rapid Fire/ Sport Pistol Lights Question

Post by Greg Knutzen »

Is there a size requirement/ aswell as a brightness/lumen for the red/green lights?

What is the size and brightness of the lights used at fort benning?
David Levene

Re: Rapid Fire/ Sport Pistol Lights Question

Post by David Levene »

Greg Knutzen wrote:Is there a size requirement/ aswell as a brightness/lumen for the red/green lights?
Not as far as I know.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

I have been playing around wtih this a bit myself. Automotive tail lights work well using an 1157 type lamp. 12 volts makes wiring easy and they are bright enough. Anything smaller is marginal. just make the lamp, housing and wiring easy to replace, some of us have bad habits of hitting them!
IPshooter

Here's a sample set-up...

Post by IPshooter »

I posed this question some time ago, and I was told that when the electronic targets were in use at the range in Atlanta (it's still amazing that place is gone), they were using 2.25 inch floodlights behind a fesnel lens.

Stan
R.E. Smalley

low votls lights

Post by R.E. Smalley »

Hey all;

If there is no formal requirement, you might try LED's. You get lots of bright in a small package. 12volt DC is common for them.

Ralph Ed
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

On related note- anyone have schematics/part numbers for the timing circuitry? All I need is something that will alternate between 7 seconds and 3 seconds and power a 9 volt LED . . .

Steve Swartz
Spencer

LEDs

Post by Spencer »

The Sius Ascor system uses an array of LEDs wired in parallel - shoot a light and you will only take out one or two.

For 'club' use the Sydney range has added a layer of lexan over each light to provide an additional level of protection.

Spencer
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Steve Swartz wrote:anyone have schematics/part numbers for the timing circuitry? All I need is something that will alternate between 7 seconds and 3 seconds and power a 9 volt LED
That's not hard to design. Here's a simple circuit using 5 chips that should do what you want. Click on the image to get a larger one. Vcc should be 5v. V+ can be anything up to about 70v. The DS3658 can sink enough current to drive even regular light bulbs.

(But bear in mind that this is just a quick sketch using parts I was able to find quickly. I have not tried to build it.)
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out . . . I know fancier range timer systems are available for $$$ but I'm wondering if there would be a niche for low cost, battery operated, portable (and simple) system for individual training . . .
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

This should be pretty cheap, perhaps $10 or $15 for the chips. I could have gone even cheaper (maybe $5) with a 555 timer and an RC circuit but if you're only going to build one unit and you're already that low, it seemed like the precise timing of a real crystal oscillator was worth having.